Discuss type of breaker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
in a hotel i want to change an old brown mcb from 50A too 20A or 30A any of you know the bs number im after, i know long shot but it has the rating engraved on the top of the switch in white...

No idea of the bs number but from the description the only breaker that comes to mind is the old 'Crabtree C50' range where the live end was a slotted screw connection onto the busbar.

There could be other types very similar but thats the only one that comes to mind for me and likely hard to come by as they're a very old breaker.

Just had a look in my stores and found some old second C50's a removed years ago (abit of a hoarder) and the Crabtree C50 is indeed BS3871 as Des 56 said.

yeah probably is, but if it comes in different fittings il need to pull it out. its just there is a double socket wired in 10mm on 50A breaker

yeah probably is, but if it comes in different fittings il need to pull it out. its just there is a double socket wired in 10mm on 50A breaker

Although the 10mm is over the top for a socket, 10mm will handle 50A, ( putting aside other factors ), so, in theory, the cable is protected by the 50A breaker.

Those things want getting rid of. Their not thermal / magnetic but hydraulic / magnetic. They are about as sensitive as a brick.
It was thanks to one of them I had a control panel catch fire many years back.

well there is a hotel full of them ... and i mean full of them the floor im working on about 5 x 20 way boards plus 5 16th ecition cu maybe 15th edition mem boarss

I was replaceing these boards about 15yrs ago in a local factory due to safety issue's (hence haveing afew 2nd hand C50's in my stores).

Definitely worth a punt trying to get the customer to change these units on safety grounds (even if they gradualy change them to save haveing a big hit of money). Explain that due to current H&S rules if a fault occurs and a Qualified Sparky has to work on the board, due to the busbar haveing no shielding, the whole board will have to be turned off thus loosing power to various parts of the hotel for an amount of time.

well they get it tested every year i think. i have asked for the past test results yesterday.... so might get them over weekend and have a nosey

Reply to type of breaker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net