Discuss Type of cable to outbuilding but on bricks. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mazak

-
Reaction score
Hi.
I am going to to new circuit at customer's dwelling and best way is to to do it outside of the house but laying cable on mortar/bricks.
Can I use twin&earth cable and use trunking or only armoured cable.
Thanks
Mac

Don't use twin and earth, it will degrade in the sun, same reason not to use trunking. You can use SWA but this may be overkill if you're just running down a wall and the cable isn't going to be buried.

In scenarios like that I use NYY-J, commonly referred to as Hi Tough. It is suitable for external use, and comes in a variety of sizes and no. of cores. And is much easier to deal with than SWA for this kind of job.

Fix it to the wall with SWA cleats, jobs a good 'un.

Hi.
I am going to to new circuit at customer's dwelling and best way is to to do it outside of the house but laying cable on mortar/bricks.
Can I use twin&earth cable and use trunking or only armoured cable.
Thanks
Mac
Where does the cable originate and what is it feeding ?

What about mechanical protection?

As @Gavin John Hyde says, it's tough stuff, but you have to use your loaf and only use it where appropriate. I might not put it low down behind bushes for example where someone might swing a spade, and I'd probably not use it down the side of a house where a car might get parked just in case, so use the same consideration you give any cable placement.

Most of us would think that . It is part of the journey.
Yeah…..'laying on bricks and mortar' got me thinking, too.

Hi tuff is good stuff and handy. Just used some for lighting in a new store building. It depends on the protection required, though.

As @Gavin John Hyde says, it's tough stuff, but you have to use your loaf and only use it where appropriate. I might not put it low down behind bushes for example where someone might swing a spade, and I'd probably not use it down the side of a house where a car might get parked just in case, so use the same consideration you give any cable placement.
Really? How bad is your driving then, bloody women drivers ;)

You are all talkative :)
Thanks for your ideas, especially NYY cable, as it is something new to me.
By the way I strugle to find it at CEF or Screwfix.

Anyway, project is not going forward, as customer expect me to do it for tenner maybe two :)
Tell me guys what sort of quote you would do.
1.change consumer unit (testing + cert. obviously)
2. Add new circuit for boiler - that was that, outbuilding cable for around 8 m.
There is no spur fuse serving boiler now, and he is using extension lead ! He dont dont want to interfere with inside decoration - fancy bricks like wall (made from gypsum or so.
3. Fit and connect Nest thermostat and setup.
4. Add external socket

I expect to be a mess with rings etc as it looks like no electrian did cabling when they were refurbishing home.

I mean labour only.
How much?

You are all talkative :)
Thanks for your ideas, especially NYY cable, as it is something new to me.
By the way I strugle to find it at CEF or Screwfix.

Anyway, project is not going forward, as customer expect me to do it for tenner maybe two :)
Tell me guys what sort of quote you would do.
1.change consumer unit (testing + cert. obviously)
2. Add new circuit for boiler - that was that, outbuilding cable for around 8 m.
There is no spur fuse serving boiler now, and he is using extension lead ! He dont dont want to interfere with inside decoration - fancy bricks like wall (made from gypsum or so.
3. Fit and connect Nest thermostat and setup.
4. Add external socket

I expect to be a mess with rings etc as it looks like no electrian did cabling when they were refurbishing home.

I mean labour only.
How much?

My advice to you is don’t quote for Labour only

Reply to Type of cable to outbuilding but on bricks. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net