Discuss Types of installation in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

olsonn

Does anybody out there recognise this type of installation. I have never come across anything like it before. I was doing some work on a flat yesterday that had a few problems. The incoming water pipe was not bonded and the earthing cable on the gas pipe was not attached. The installer had also obviously had some problems with cable lengths and had put the tails from the socket ring circuit on 2.5mm into a JB and had then taken a single 6mm cable into the CU. Has anybody else seen this method used before and does it meet the regs. I was going to replace this with 2 seperate 2.5mm tails

IMG01018-20111017-1203.jpgIMG01019-20111017-1204.jpg

single 6mm is OK IMO as it's > csa than 2 x 2.5mm. i hope those incomer terminals have covers!

Looks like TN-S, and is most likely supplying next door as well, unless it's 2 phase.
The circuit you have described, is sometimes refered to as a lollypop circuit.
Not a standard configuration, but quite acceptable.

Dont know who put it in but the two earths both went to the earth bar in the CU and were a simple duplication of each other. I have removed one of the cables as didnt add anything. I have also now bonded the water pipe and reconnected the gas bonding.

Thanks Tony cant say I have ever heard of one before, didnt cover this on my 2381 or 2382 courses. As they say you learn something new everyday. Just shows the benefit of this forum and the level of knowledge out there. Thanks Again

Does anybody out there recognise this type of installation. I have never come across anything like it before. I was doing some work on a flat yesterday that had a few problems. The incoming water pipe was not bonded and the earthing cable on the gas pipe was not attached. The installer had also obviously had some problems with cable lengths and had put the tails from the socket ring circuit on 2.5mm into a JB and had then taken a single 6mm cable into the CU. Has anybody else seen this method used before and does it meet the regs. I was going to replace this with 2 seperate 2.5mm tails

View attachment 8330View attachment 8331

Yet another badly terminated DNO service head!! It certainly shows these days, that the standards are also dropping from the days of the old Leccy boards all the time.

Look at those neutrals most showing exposed conductor, even the phase conductor showing a good half an inch of exposed conductor. And to cap it all no overall heatshrink or PVC sleeving on the bare earthing conductors. Just an amaturest effort all round on this service head cable termination...

I do hope that smaller concentric cable is supplying the last house (or installation) on the string!! lol!!!

The cover was removed to try and get some idea as to what type of installation I was dealing with. With the cover on you couldnt made head or tail of it

You’re a brave man!

I know E54 slated it but I've seen worse. I’m one of those weird people that likes split concentric.

I've seen a lot worse too. That's the thing about using concentric cables, they need to be terminated in a decent manner, and very few these days, seem to be able too!! On the rare occasions we've had concentric cables run in on my projects, they have always been terminated with heatshrink purpose made trouser breakouts and sleeving. But i've seen some perfectly good amalgamated tape and heatshrink sleeve terminations....

Reply to Types of installation in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net