Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Typical Friday Afternoon Problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. GPack

GPack Regular EF Member

Hello,
    Would appreciate your thoughts.

I have a kitchen with two lighting circuits served by to single switches at two different locations.

This afternoon I removed 6 compact fluorescent gu10 lamps and replaced with 6 5W LED GU10 dimmable lamps from the 1st lighting circuit.
    Tried the switch and lamps came on fine.
    Turned the power off and changed switch for Aurora AU - DSP400X LED dimmer switch. Instructions indicate that this dimmer is compatible with these Lamps and fits within the minimum and maximum loads.

Turned the power on, pressed the dimmer on, the lamps flashed and the MCB tripped.
    I removed the dimmer and replaced with the switch and now there is no voltage at the switch or the light fittings. To make things worse the second lighting circuit in the kitchen isn't working either. All other lights on the downstairs circuit remain working.

It appears that a 16A MCB tripped serving a water heater tripped at the same time as the 6A lighting circuit. I say this because I didn't notice it was down when I isolated the power. I flicked this back up but kitchen lighting is still not working.

I'm back there tomorrow first thing. Would love to know your thoughts

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    basic testing of the circuit/s. could be a poor connection that's blown.

3. GPack

GPack Regular EF Member

Hmm. The circuit breaker is up and holding but there in no voltage at the kitchen circuit now.

4. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

I have to ask, are you an Electrician? Post 2 has given the best advice but if you are not a Sparks, then perhaps your next would be to call one in.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GPack

GPack Regular EF Member

Sure Am.

Not sure what you mean by 'poor connection blown'. I haven't experienced this in the past.

6. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Then pull the dimmer away from the back box reset the CB it could be you have trapped some cables when screwing the dimmer back

• Like Like x 1
  7. darkwood

darkwood For it is a human number, its number is 666 Staff Member Electrician's Arms

May sound a stupid question but I have got to ask, did you check a voltage was coming out of the mcb? You say you switched it back on but this is not a gaurantee that the mcb hasn't failed.

Hence post 2 - what tests have you done?... the possible scenerio's are numerous hence doing a routine testing of the lighting circuit should point you in the right direction.

You mention other mcb's and resetting them to see if it cures the issue, this would indicate you haven't done any testing as such other than visual and operational tests?

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  8. GPack

GPack Regular EF Member

I removed the dimmer and replaced with the switch. No cables snagged. Yes, MCB was up and connected because the remainder of the downstairs circuit came back on.
    I guess I need to get to the JB serving the kitchen and trace back.

9. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    Think about a normally wired lighting circuit and what may have happened to allow the light you are working on and also after the fault another light to become non operational with no voltage.
    Lighting failure of loop.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. sparksburnout

sparksburnout Electrician's Arms

Feeling better then big knob?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

No mate feeling rubber dick at the mo, although peeing is a bit easier, if that's what you are referring to

• Like Like x 2
  12. marc8

marc8 Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    MTS Electrical Ltd
    are you sure the kitchen lights are fed via the 6amp breaker & not from a fused spur somewhere with say a 3amp fuse or 5amp hidden up & that is what is not working ?
    as the heater circuit went at same time ?

• Like Like x 4
  13. GPack

GPack Regular EF Member

It's a really good point. im back first thing. I'll let you know what I find.

14. sparksburnout

sparksburnout Electrician's Arms

Feeling rubber dick? Is this as in "rr fackin ell gavnor, i'm feelin rubber dick an no mistake", or have you developed some kind of perversion in hospital?

15. Electric Magic

Electric Magic Electrician's Arms

One of the many reasons it's good to do your pre-work inspecting and testing...

16. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

"rr fackin ell gavnor I'm feeling rubber dick" I suppose mi post did leave me open for some abuse didn't it lol