Discuss Typical Friday Afternoon Problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GPack

-
Reaction score
Hello,
Would appreciate your thoughts.

I have a kitchen with two lighting circuits served by to single switches at two different locations.

This afternoon I removed 6 compact fluorescent gu10 lamps and replaced with 6 5W LED GU10 dimmable lamps from the 1st lighting circuit.
Tried the switch and lamps came on fine.
Turned the power off and changed switch for Aurora AU - DSP400X LED dimmer switch. Instructions indicate that this dimmer is compatible with these Lamps and fits within the minimum and maximum loads.

Turned the power on, pressed the dimmer on, the lamps flashed and the MCB tripped.
I removed the dimmer and replaced with the switch and now there is no voltage at the switch or the light fittings. To make things worse the second lighting circuit in the kitchen isn't working either. All other lights on the downstairs circuit remain working.

It appears that a 16A MCB tripped serving a water heater tripped at the same time as the 6A lighting circuit. I say this because I didn't notice it was down when I isolated the power. I flicked this back up but kitchen lighting is still not working.

I'm back there tomorrow first thing. Would love to know your thoughts

basic testing of the circuit/s. could be a poor connection that's blown.

I have to ask, are you an Electrician? Post 2 has given the best advice but if you are not a Sparks, then perhaps your next would be to call one in.

Then pull the dimmer away from the back box reset the CB it could be you have trapped some cables when screwing the dimmer back

May sound a stupid question but I have got to ask, did you check a voltage was coming out of the mcb? You say you switched it back on but this is not a gaurantee that the mcb hasn't failed.

Hence post 2 - what tests have you done?... the possible scenerio's are numerous hence doing a routine testing of the lighting circuit should point you in the right direction.

You mention other mcb's and resetting them to see if it cures the issue, this would indicate you haven't done any testing as such other than visual and operational tests?

Last edited:
I removed the dimmer and replaced with the switch. No cables snagged. Yes, MCB was up and connected because the remainder of the downstairs circuit came back on.
I guess I need to get to the JB serving the kitchen and trace back.

are you sure the kitchen lights are fed via the 6amp breaker & not from a fused spur somewhere with say a 3amp fuse or 5amp hidden up & that is what is not working ?
as the heater circuit went at same time ?

No mate feeling rubber dick at the mo, although peeing is a bit easier, if that's what you are referring to
Feeling rubber dick? Is this as in "rr fackin ell gavnor, i'm feelin rubber dick an no mistake", or have you developed some kind of perversion in hospital?

Feeling rubber dick? Is this as in "rr fackin ell gavnor, i'm feelin rubber dick an no mistake", or have you developed some kind of perversion in hospital?

"rr fackin ell gavnor I'm feeling rubber dick" I suppose mi post did leave me open for some abuse didn't it lol

Reply to Typical Friday Afternoon Problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net