Discuss Tysoft Easy Cert - Confused. Fire rated downlights to minimise build up of heat? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
https://www.------------/photo.php?fbid=10214462405609589&set=a.4036518667004.2170845.1102834801&type=3&theater

I need to put an image on but not sure how on here, it's quite limited.

I'm just using Tysoft Easy Cert to compose a DEICR and one of the questions refers to using a fire rated downlight to minimise the build-up of heat.

That's not what they are for.

Every time I see this question it irritates me. I have contacted them and all they say is it's a copy of the model form in BS7671. I can't see it anywhere and I think this has come straight from someone's head...

Can anyone shed any "light"?

Andy78 has got it, it is the information promoted solely by the NICEIC with no regulatory background behind it.
There is a consideration that any sort of enclosure over a downlight might help to limit the surface temperature that an item of combustible material would experience, however to use two examples that are designed for different purposes as examples is very poor practice.
Fire rated fittings tend to contain the heat against a metal (heat conductive) surface and insulation displacement boxes are only for preventing the fitting getting hot, though if the fitting got hot enough it might burst into flames I suppose.

I don’t get why the NIC make up their own rules. They made up one about not having to Earth steel backboxes.

As for downlights, a fire rated down light with a halogen lamp in, especially a dicrohic MR16, with insulation above it will harden the intumescent material and make it crumble rendering the fire rating useless. Only way for me is a fire rated fitting, LED Lamp and an insulation displacement box.

I’ve just condemned an NIC members work. He’s used 1.5mm SY Cable to supply an external socket 20m away from a garage supply and it runs along the borders on top exposed then tucked just under the grass for 5m before coming out of the ground to the socket.

The builder rang the NIC and was told it would be ok in conduit.

SY Cable doesn’t even comply with BS7671 for fixed Cable installation. Looks to me like they are defending their income. Ahem oops members.

Reply to Tysoft Easy Cert - Confused. Fire rated downlights to minimise build up of heat? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock