Discuss UFH brain teaser. think i know but...... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
existing UFH (2 mats each 1.8kW) installed c 2015. on a single stat by a,n,other. customer had someone else replace stat. made a right mess of it and stat fried. I then get called in to fit new stat. removed the dual back box that previous guy had smacked out with a hammer so as to fit the new stat. (was FCU and stat on dual back box, but new stat would not fit). the 2 underfloor sensors were wired in parallel, so that's how I connected to new stat. customer complains that the floor does not warm up properly. on a visit, i found 2 smallish rugs on the tile floor. now, my thoughts are that maybe 1 of the sensors is under a rug and so switches off prematurely due to the rug retaining the heat. this then cuts both mats off. I'm thinking to wire the sensors in series so that both need to activate and go open circuit for the stat to switch off. anyone agree/disagree? current measurement when system is powered up from cold shows 15A, i.e 3.6kW. not ideal on a 13A FCU but that's what i have to work with.

Hi Tel - from memory the ufh temp sensor probes have a base resistance of about 10K Ohms at room temp. Putting 2 in parallel or series in a stat not designed for it is a recipe for weird outcomes, I reckon.

existing UFH (2 mats each 1.8kW) installed c 2015. on a single stat by a,n,other. customer had someone else replace stat. made a right mess of it and stat fried. I then get called in to fit new stat. removed the dual back box that previous guy had smacked out with a hammer so as to fit the new stat. (was FCU and stat on dual back box, but new stat would not fit). the 2 underfloor sensors were wired in parallel, so that's how I connected to new stat. customer complains that the floor does not warm up properly. on a visit, i found 2 smallish rugs on the tile floor. now, my thoughts are that maybe 1 of the sensors is under a rug and so switches off prematurely due to the rug retaining the heat. this then cuts both mats off. I'm thinking to wire the sensors in series so that both need to activate and go open circuit for the stat to switch off. anyone agree/disagree? current measurement when system is powered up from cold shows 15A, i.e 3.6kW. not ideal on a 13A FCU but that's what i have to work with.
Can you draw the circuit on the back of your beer mat? lol

Tel cannot you fit a dual box and use two stats?

thinking back on wot i wrote. 2 sensors in parallel, on cold, both would be closed circuit to allow the mats to heat. if 1 then switches out due to temp., then the other one will still be closed and so keep the mats heating. if i had installed it in the first place, it would have 2 x FCU and 2 x stats, all i can think is that the rugs may be causing the sensors to reach switching temperature due to hot spots.

Could you not add a 2 controller?

When the customer claims they don't heat up ......... what temperature are they set to heat too - could it be that they are simply set too low?

Could you not add a 2 controller?

When the customer claims they don't heat up ......... what temperature are they set to heat too - could it be that they are simply set too low?
set at max. 28 deg. think part of it is customer expects it to heat the room ( kitchen approx. 24sq.m. tiled floor).

ouch ..........a its unlikely to heat the room and B ..............the running costs
i know. 3.6kW equates to about 50p/hour, less off time due to stat.

Defo dont want the floor sensors both connected into 1 programmer because the resistances will be different to what it is expecting to see, just connect 1 of them and set the stat to be controlled by air temperature only so it just uses the probe as a limit

Defo dont want the floor sensors both connected into 1 programmer because the resistances will be different to what it is expecting to see, just connect 1 of them and set the stat to be controlled by air temperature only so it just uses the probe as a limit
can you elaborate on that. as i see you advocate dissing 1 sensor , so how does the stat work on air temp as it will then be controlled by the sensor that's still connected.

thinking back on wot i wrote. 2 sensors in parallel, on cold, both would be closed circuit to allow the mats to heat. if 1 then switches out due to temp., then the other one will still be closed

The temperature sensors aren’t thermostats, they are thermistors, so they won’t work like this.
Putting them in parallel or series they will behave like any other resistors and the controller will get some odd readings.

The temperature sensors aren’t thermostats, they are thermistors, so they won’t work like this.
Putting them in parallel or series they will behave like any other resistors and the controller will get some odd readings.
so what's your solution? just diss 1 sensor?

heating. if i had installed it in the first place, it would have 2 x FCU and 2 x stats, all i can think is that the rugs may be causing the sensors to reach switching temperature due to hot spots.
I think this would be the way to correct it how it was supposed to be wired. Is the UFH on its own radial or on the ring?

so what's your solution? just diss 1 sensor?

If both mats are identical then I would just use the one sensor.

Is the stat set to air and floor temperature or just floor temperature? (Assuming it has this option)

The floor sensor would normally just be for limiting max floor temperature when the controller is set to air and floor temperature, so if the two mats are the same power they should heat up at the same rate and one sensor be ok.

15.65A so its right on the limit they usually say 16A max...

But just read op again and its on a 13A fcu?? This needs more than a quick fix tel...

Reply to UFH brain teaser. think i know but...... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock