Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss UFH thermostat feed what size cable? in the Underfloor Heating Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. B1gSte

B1gSte Active EF Member

Hi all.
    I’m just planning out my electrics before boarding the new en suite.
    Can someone verify.
    Should a fused spur come directly from a socket or can I break in to a single cable using a Wago box? Also is 2.5mm2 cable ok to the thermostat?
    I’m not making the connections, I will be employing an electrician at a later date. Just don’t want to get the wall boards in to find I’ve forgotten something later.

Thanks.

2. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear please let me back in to the prison cell. Electrician's Arms

consult a spark to guide you on the job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Yes in answer to your questions . But best consult an electrician, there may be other things to consider.

4. shaun1

shaun1 Regular EF Member

As above, doing the job safely is not just about making good connections. You need to find out the specs of the UFH and work out what the power requirements are. You then need to find out if an existing circuit is suitable, UFH could require a dedicated circuit depending on load. You also need to ensure all cables are suitibly protected and/or run in prescribed zones. It eould be best to get an electrican in now, to determine all of this, before floors and walls are fitted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. B1gSte

B1gSte Active EF Member

Thanks for your replies. It is a small 300W heating mat for 1.5m2. I have no intention of connecting anything. All I want to know at this moment in time is if I need to run a cable into a dry lining box on the outside of the en-suite, long enough to reach the nearest socket. Or can it be run to the nearest ring main cable and broken into at a later date. Thanks.

Edit: the room below has no ceiling yet so is accessible but I need to get the wall on and tiled.

6. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    i would use 1.5mm cable from the nearest socket location. then the sparks can fit a FCU to feed the ufh.

• Like Like x 1
  7. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    make sure cable runs vertically down from stat. position, not diagonal.

• Like Like x 1
  8. B1gSte

B1gSte Active EF Member

Thanks. Will do.