Discuss Uk power gave us these options in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I advised client call UK power networks
Because they had a Ze of 500 ohms on a TN-S

This is what they said to client
“They advised that we contact an electrician to provide an independent local earth and RCD protection or a new PME service to provide satisfactory value of EFLI and test the internal wiring”

TT - I really don’t want to put an earth rod Through a drain pipe in London.

When they say upgrade to a PME will they will change service head to a TNCS?

I thought they need to maintain TN-s supplies?

Perhaps get owner to request DNO keep providing an earth for the installation then hopefully the PME will be free. In my opinion DNO cannot ask for an Electrician to change the installation to TNCS - that's for DNO to decide and do.

I also thought DNOs had to maintain their earthing arrangements, but a recent post on here (possibly by SparkyChick?) said that some DNOs are washing their hands of tns due to many being in a poor condition. I do not know the legality of it though...
Wilko, I read it as the DNO providing PME rather than the electrician. I read it as a local sparks providing TT and RCDs as one option and PME to be done by the DNO as the other.

And Chris, I think a rod through a drain will get a great Ra....as long as the taps are left running at least!! Seriously though I would like to know what the legal situation is regarding the maintenance of their earth. Is there anything under ESQCR I wonder..

These are exactly the same options that Western Power gave me. Pay to have them provide PME/TNCS (WPD charge £118.56+VAT if the head already has a PME terminal and £147.26+VAT if they need to change the head) or install an earth rod and all the carp that entails.

The last time, they did at least send an engineer who carried out the same tests as I did and advised that I stick a bonding clamp on the lead sheath (it was on the outer steel armour - and was providing a bad connection), which I duly did and got a great Ze.

I retired from ENWL a few years back, and as a fault technician came across this problem fairly often. Their policy is that if they provide an earth they will maintain it free of charge. If we came across a high ze it usually involved a lead sheathed cable, and no you can't use a compression clamp on it, you have to use the coil type. If the ze was below 1.6 ohms we would down size the main fuse, between 1.6 and 20 ohms we would fit a temporary rcd, unless the cu had one fitted, above that it was disconnected. We would usually attend and repair the same day, or the next. Pme isn't always an option, there are still a lot of premises without bonding to gas, water etc.

ESQCR I wonder..
Yes Reg 25 gives a requirement to maintain existing earth. I argued this just today. Although DNO had attended and stated earth was adequate I did not think it was and quoted reg 25. Also I said if you decline to upgrade, I will not proceed with work in house, and will advise HSE of my findings. New upgraded earth put in the same day, today. Thanks for that DNO! All done very diplomatically of course.

Reply to Uk power gave us these options in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net