Discuss UK Speed Limits for vans .................... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I suppose the old Corsa and Clio will qualify but again hitting 70 with any still going is debatable.

Slowing down to 30 in any built up area is common sense, with or without lamp posts. I just like to annoy the boy racers.

My Berlingo van is near identical to the Berlingo Multispace car.... which in fairness was described a van with seats and windows when it first came out.
Also identical to the Peugeot Partner van... which strangely doesn't have a car equivalent.

The 'silly cup holder' I mentioned earlier is a little cubby hole below the air vents. Theres a photo online somewhere of a macdonalds coke cup jammed into the hole, with the lid on and only just holding in the contents without spilling.
I couldn't find the photo to copy into the message here, and I wasn't going to recreate the image myself, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

silly arse.that's not a cup holder. it's for unopened cans od Stella, so you don't have to take your attention off the road looking for them.

That makes no sense at all, passing your driving test before 1997 gave you a 7.5 ton licence

As well as a licence you now need to have a 'Drivers Certificate of Professional Competency' to drive any think over 3.5 tonnes for work purposes. So this might be what your uncle needed to do.

DCPCs last 5 years and to renew them you need to do 5 days of training with an approved provider. The idea is our beloved HGV drivers will do one day of training every year, although there is nothing to stop them waiting till one week before their cpc expires and then doing the exact same training 5 days on the trot.

To get their first 5 years of dcpc lorry drivers do an extra theory test and an extra practical test (not driving involved, but you have to point at a lorry while answering questions).

If you've had an hgv entitlement for a long time, but need to do dcpc for the first time I understand you can choose between doing the test or the 5 days of training.

I got speaking to a person who bought a dodge ram left hand drive truck from America and he was telling me that the rules for importing it would have forced him to spend £4,500 modifying it as it was coming from the USA so he paid a transport company to put it on a cargo train to Canada and shipped it from there, saving £4,500 as different rules from Canada, he then had to put it through an mot straight away even though it was new and had 400 miles on the clock and had to register it as a medium goods vehicle and get it "stickered" as he called it for which they charged him £750 for a short visit to a special vosa test station, informed me that as it was 3.5 tons empty, he could use it for personal use but not for his farm as it would need a digital tachograph and for him to sit an hgv test and that he was not allowed to tow a trailer with it, he had it all done up with fancy chrome exhausts and big light bars.

In the USA from what I'm led to believe (my ex is American, her dad owns a car parts manufacturing company) you can drive a 15 ton trailer home the size of an intercity bus on a plain car licence..

Aye, became aware a few years back. The fixed speed cameras round here don't differentiate, I have heard some ANPR equipped ones do though.
I could get mine reclassified with some modifications, but it's not worth it, I'll just keep it easy on the right foot.

I asked my mate who used to be a plod about this last night.

His view was that no fixed cameras can tell what category vehicles are ......... and Police car units with ANPR could but he thinks that the coppers driving wouldn't bother to check ..........

So nice and vague then.

Not been stopped yet
upload_2018-6-15_8-11-8.png
you have to wait .:D

Reply to UK Speed Limits for vans .................... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net