Discuss UKPN Supply question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I have just started process of extending our property with a two storey extension to side of house (garage with bedroom above) and whilst Architect deals with design and planning have been in touch with UKPN about moving our supply cable which currently comes in overhead through the gable end, through the loft and into meter at high level on the landing (meter and consumer unit also in same location). My preferred new route is to come in under eaves at the front and through the loft as it is now but UKPN surveyor has obviously recommended the more expensive underground route to meter box at front of property which I then will need an electrician to get cable from to my landing as moving the consumer unit will be a massive upheaval. Said UKPN surveyor has said that to go through the loft I will have to put hole through the soffit into loft and run ducting to the landing for them to push the cable through as they 'do not go in lofts'!! (Health n safety issue) all well and good for me so far BUT he said that the ducting cannot be more than 4 metres long and when I asked why specifically he could not answer. As I am sure it will need more than 4 metres of duct my question is : Is this something covered by a specific regulation ? As surely if they are prepared to run the cable in 12 metres of ducting underground then why no more than 4 metres in a loft ?? I can't help but think I am being steered towards the more expensive option by making it difficult for me because it's what they favour ?
Sorry it's war n peace and thanks for any help in advance.

I worked at a property, which had similar extension etc. The DNO replaced the overhead supply (& changed it to pme), routed around the side (high level) of extension to existing CU, i.e. more than 4m. As Lee says, probably their own rules.

Have you had the survey in writing?

If they've said max 4 mtrs in the loft they mean Max 4 mtrs, don't make the duct any longer, they probably wont put the cable in.

As above it'll be one of their rules, same as max limit used by most DNO of 3mtrs from meter to Consumer unit unless it's protected by additional fuses.

Re the 4mtrs, it's probably to do with the risk associated with thier cables run in your loft which may have upstream fuses potentially in the thousands of amps.

Thanks for the replies and sort of confirms what I thought that no regulations in place. Am concerned that if I put more than 4 metres of duct in they won't complete the job. In answer to Midwest - I have the surveys in writing but still waiting on the quote for the underground option. Overhead is £1200 .

I worked at a property, which had similar extension etc. The DNO replaced the overhead supply (& changed it to pme), routed around the side (high level) of extension to existing CU, i.e. more than 4m. As Lee says, probably their own rules.

Have you had the survey in writing?
Yes have had the surveys for both options in writing - no mention of the 4 metres rule in the quote though. It was purely a verbal discussion with the surveyor although it does say that I am to fit ducting that will be provided by UKPN so am thinking they may only supply me 4 metres to cover that rule ??

Moving supplies is never quick, never cheap and never when you want it done.

Plus you need a competent spark to do the "house side" of the meter changes too.

Have fun.

Can you have the meter and cutout moved to the new entry point to the property? If you can find somewhere there to put it, you could then have a single fused isolator mounted there, and a submain run through the loft by an electrician to your existing consumer unit .
Thanks very much for this suggestion - will give this some thought as their preferred option of going underground and having meter box on front of property means large SWA cable up front of house to go through loft to the consumer unit which will look awful as well as costing a lot more whereas I may be able to find room in a bedroom where cable comes through the front wall and straight into loft Many thanks

Reply to UKPN Supply question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net