• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Unable to find earth rod when doing EICR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening chaps and SC...

I was carrying out an EICR today. I could not find the earth rod anywhere. I could see a 10mm leaving the CU and going down the wall of the porch then it goes at an angle through the wall (towards the outside) and then I cannot see anything else. Following the angle through the wall to the outside (20cm) leads to a conctrete step at the front entrance of the house. I think it's been concreted in.

I have 2 questions..

1. What do I put for 'presence and condition of earth electrode connection'? I guess it should be FI, but a degree of common sense has to be used as the chap is not going to let me dig up his front step. The resistance to earth of this cable was 63Ω.

2. What do I put as the Ze? Do I assume this is the Main Earth cable?

I can clearly see the pathway of the gas bonding. The water is bonded so this could be the Main Bond for the water but it's unlikely as there is a better pathway for the other 10mm leaving the CU to the water.

My thoughts are that I put NV for question 1 above and 63Ω for the Ze (with a note in the summary saying this is assuming that is the Main Earth cable)?

Yes, I didn't think of Lim. I agree the Limitations before hand, but i see know reason why you cant have limitations throughout the job that were unforeseen before hand.
Cheers guys.

I do not think a satisfactory can be applied to an EICR if the means and condition of the main earth cannot be verified. It would be FI for me, resulting in an unsatisfactory. If a remedial is requested I would forget the existing and install a new rod in an accessible location.

Why optimistic Murdoch? Would you guess the means of earthing on an EICR?

I wasn't sure TBH how to rate it ........... so thought optimistic was appropriate ............... but I've just been re-reading the BPG no 4 and this situation isn't even mentioned .........

So I would agree that FI is probably the best course of action:)

But many wouldn't bother looking for the rod after they have a satisfactory reading.

I did an EICR recently, the Ze for the installation was good, I knew exactly where the rod was but couldn't get the inspection cover off - so I simply put a comment on the EICR...

As long as you have a decent reading and you're sure it's the earth and not one of the main bonds I wouldn't be concerned,but as it's not visible I'd be tempted to recommend an annual check of the Ze .

I can clearly see the pathway of the gas bonding. The water is bonded so this could be the Main Bond for the water but it's unlikely as there is a better pathway for the other 10mm leaving the CU to the water.

I know it's hindsight now, but you can always confirm bonding conductors with them disconnected using long lead test if unsure.

I think it just down to your judgement. As Ze is very acceptable, I would say either FI or LIM are perfectly reasonable.

Out of interest what sort of Zs's were you getting with bonds reconnected?

if you cant see it to confirm there is one earth rod . weather you are getting good reading you . you must confirm that you have see it . it might be a bicycle planted in the ground .

If you were installing and making additons to the system I would agree. EICR is just a report and you can limit whatever you like if agreed with client.

As long as you have a decent reading and you're sure it's the earth and not one of the main bonds I wouldn't be concerned,but as it's not visible I'd be tempted to recommend an annual check of the Ze .

if you cant see it to confirm there is one earth rod . weather you are getting good reading you . you must confirm that you have see it . it might be a bicycle planted in the ground .

Agree with Buzz.....more realistically it could be connected to a water or gas pipe. You cannot assume when it comes to means of earthing. It MUST be verified.

Reply to Unable to find earth rod when doing EICR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back