Discuss Under cabinet lighting installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

rj1234

-
Reaction score
Hi, thanks in advance for any advice.

I had our kitchen redone a year or so ago, and at that time hadn't got in the under-cabinet lights, so the fitter left some terminated wiring to allow me to connect later. I just wanted to check what was in the realms of sensibleness before I installed!

The sparky set up a new, 2nd ring in the kitchen to supply in cabinet lights (installed) and the plan was/is to run the under cabinet lights also off this - there is cable already plastered in which emerges above each cabinet.

Originally I was going to have transformers on top of the cabinets and 12v underneath. Therefore I have managed to squidge some flex down the back of the three cabinets.

However, I'm now finding that 240v strips have since become a more economical option. If I wanted to run 240v strips, I could probably at a pinch get some 1mm cable through the same spaces (recesses behind fixed cupboards/trim) but couldn't clip it except top and bottom.

Options as I see it;
1) stick with original plan - transformers and 12v to under cupboard
2) thread 1mm cable from each junction above cabinets to light
3) wire 13a sockets into the lighting circuit and wire each as a domestic lamp... obviously only benefit to this is if it were the only 240v option that is legal

What's legal/sensible/preferable?

Thanks
Rob

I'd confirm exactly what you would like to have fitted before doing any more wiring. A lot of the led strips have low voltage connections so the strip is safe to handle. So the existing flex may be ok or the new one (with its connectors) just needs pulling through.

Avoid ones with transformers is my advice .....

Avoid ones with transformers is my advice .....
Under cabinet lighting installation {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
Under cabinet lighting installation upload_2018-8-28_17-59-55 - EletriciansForums.net especially this one .

i fitted some led tape lights under some cabinets recently, used the enlite tape, had a nice discrete install and really easy to install, just cut on the line to size, connect 2 wires to the led driver on top the cupboard, one driver will do both the top and bottom of unit if required. its self adhesive and straightforward

Don't like the 3M tapes, come unstuck after you cook some spaghetti. Get some aluminium extrusions to fit them in.

Don't like the 3M tapes, come unstuck after you cook some spaghetti. Get some aluminium extrusions to fit them in.
... But screw the extrusion to the cabinets before you stick the tape in, otherwise the kettle will steam them off the first time you make a cup of tea.

... But screw the extrusion to the cabinets before you stick the tape in, otherwise the kettle will steam them off the first time you make a cup of tea.
I ain't gonna waste my money sticking an ali extrusion.

3) wire 13a sockets into the lighting circuit and wire each as a domestic lamp...

Don't do that. 13 amp sockets are not meant to go on the lighting circuit. Think what would happen if someone were to plugin a kettle via an extension lead.

I replaced our existing lights with Philips Pentura 240v led strips. Very easy to fit and produce a nice light. The units plug together and provide an even light, even at the join between two units.

Thank you, really helpful. I think I will probably stick with 12v.

However, the pentura type fitting was what I was looking at and that obviously does require 240v direct to the unit. If I did go that route, would 1mm cable finding its way in the void be acceptable? It would be unclippable except top and bottom.

Thanks again
Rob

Don't do that. 13 amp sockets are not meant to go on the lighting circuit. Think what would happen if someone were to plugin a kettle via an extension lead.

The reality is that more and more of these 13A transformers are appearing on the market for under cupboard and plinth lighting - so you have no choice but to add a socket ............... but this needs to be labelled and placed out of normal reach....

Reply to Under cabinet lighting installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock