Discuss Under cabinet lights issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Been a bit baffled by an issue on my mates kitchen under cabinet lights.
She has 4 lights, they are around 12 years old, the house was her mums but she inherited it, 2 work fine with no issue, the other 2 have intermittent flickering, she has replaced bulbs on a couple of occasions and still issue is happening- bulbs are those 2 prong g4 capsule sorts.
They are fed by a transformer ( 2 lights per transformer) transformer is 12v 60w, I have swapped the transformers around and the 2 problematic lights still flicker, I get between just under 12 v and just over 12 volts depending on whether I let lights/transformer settle down after turning on.
So am confident in ruling out the transformer, there are no loose connections. I have visually checked the wires from transformers to lights on each point and all are okay. I have checked the light fittings but can see no issue and get a stable voltage, so can not see what could be causing issue... Hence why I am baffled. Ideas or suggestions?

Is it the side of the bench that gets all the steam residue ect.
I will go with the others. They have had a good innings to be honest
Have you swapped one of the serviceable fittings onto that line or vice versa?

I had done a bit of swapping, started swapping the 2 transformers around, bulbs etc and still had same issue.
I hadn't checked for oxidisation etc tbh but cant say for sure what was done below fittings in terms of moisture, grease etc in years gone by as my friend only got the house a few months back when her mum passed away.
I will go round later this week and check for oxidisation and whether terminals are in a good state. If not i will tell her to replace them, If the wiring is as my first look suggests okay, then there are similar fittings around for £8 a pop, so need 4 of them and 2 transformers that I can fit as replacements, not too bad really.

Would be better to spend a little more and get the LED versions. G4 lamps are prone to the failures you have here, and when a lamp needs replacing it's a bit of a PITA and plenty of customers put them in without protecting the lamp...meaning another replacement will be needed.

Why not use LED strip. More even light, much cheaper to run. 5m roll and two drivers would be cheaper than £16.

Reply to Under cabinet lights issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net