Discuss Under Floor Heating thermostat - Inside or Outside the Bathroom? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

deanomc

Can someone with an understanding of the Regs help me with. I have had two electricians price up a job to install underfloor heating matts in my bathroom. One told me it is ok to have the thermostat and fuse spur in the bathroom and the other said it needs to be outside the bathroom. Ideally I want it placed inside the bathroom. The bathroom is 2.7 long and 1.7 wide and the thermostatic switch is 1.1m away from the nearest point of water ( zone 2). I know I can play it safe by putting it outside but I don't want a panel in my hallway. Can anyone advise?

If it was me I would put the fused spur in the hall and the controller in the bathroom.

hmmmm, I wasn't given this option but this could work! So to confirm.......its ok to have a thermostat inside zone 2 (even if it is not 1p44) as long as the fuse spur is outside the bathroom.

hmmmm, I wasn't given this option but this could work! So to confirm.......its ok to have a thermostat inside zone 2 (even if it is not 1p44) as long as the fuse spur is outside the bathroom.

How is it inside zone 2 given the dimension you gave? What is the "closest" water point?

it's not the closest water point that matters. it's the distance from the bath/shower basin ( as long as equipment is suitable for the environment ).

you need to turn it on a couple of hours before your bath, so that would save going into the bathroom just to switch on.

apologies. It is 1.1m from the basin but also close to the toilet. I was presuming the toilet would also class as a water point and therfore zone 2. It will be zone 3. Thanks

Contrary to common belief there is NO zone 2 involved with a wash basin.....

Does the circuit you are meddling with have RCD protection?

yes, the thermostat I am using has both options but I have opted to have a probe running from the unit to under the floor. I will need to make sure ( if fitted outside) that it is long enough to reach.

Hi Ian.settle1 - There is a probe that runs from the thermostat to under the floor. This means in theory the thermostat can be placed outside the bathroom.

Best you read Part P of the building regs....

As stated in my first post. The reason I have asked on here is not because I am carrying out this work myself, ( I am a Landlord and know its not worth the risk) it is because I have had two electricians in that have given me two conflicting answers. Hence, I thought I would get an understanding myself so I can make an informed choice based on others knowledge. Thanks for your concern Murdoch but you can call the Regulation card on some other thread.

Reply to Under Floor Heating thermostat - Inside or Outside the Bathroom? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock