Discuss Underfloor Heating in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

revilotah

Hi im new to the forum, a DIY enthusiast. I have underfloor heating, originally made up of 20meters of cable, running 240 V at 320 W 160 ohms. Now i want to half this same cable to 10m, however this would lead to a reduction of resistance by half, effectively doubling the power going through the cable, leading to it over heating. How about running the circuit on a 110V transformer i ask myself. So i try it and the cable does not get hot at all. Any Ideas?

Many Thanks.

Hi im new to the forum, a DIY enthusiast. I have underfloor heating, originally made up of 20meters of cable, running 240 V at 320 W 160 ohms. Now i want to half this same cable to 10m, however this would lead to a reduction of resistance by half, effectively doubling the power going through the cable, leading to it over heating. How about running the circuit on a 110V transformer i ask myself. So i try it and the cable does not get hot at all. Any Ideas?

Many Thanks.

surely if it is designed to work at 230v it will not work at 110v. If you are halfing the length of it and reducing the resistance by half then you will reduce the watts by half too?

surely if it is designed to work at 230v it will not work at 110v. If you are halfing the length of it and reducing the resistance by half then you will reduce the watts by half too?

I just ran a test at 110V with the thermostat cut out the circuit and the cable got warm but no where near the temp that is required, i guess the micro controller in the thermostat will not operate at the lower voltage.

What to do...

I don't think so reducing the resistance by half will double the watts

I just ran a test at 110V with the thermostat cut out the circuit and the cable got warm but no where near the temp that is required, i guess the micro controller in the thermostat will not operate at the lower voltage.

What to do...

At 110v with a resistance of 80 ohms your cable will only deliver 150 watts of heat

V² ÷ R = Watts

Update: i reduced the length to 6.5 meters to reduce the resistance in an attempt to increase watts, this worked reasonably well, but of course i now have a shorter cable than is required. My 110V transformer has two outputs... maybe having two circuits is an option?

Hi & welcome.:)

Update: i reduced the length to 6.5 meters to reduce the resistance in an attempt to increase watts, this worked reasonably well, but of course i now have a shorter cable than is required. My 110V transformer has two outputs... maybe having two circuits is an option?

if you cut it in two each half requires 120v to deliver 320watts total

half the voltage -half the power for 10M( if the controls suit)

Reply to Underfloor Heating in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock