Discuss Underground cable to workshop in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

skinny

Hi

I am planning to put a cable out to a shed to setup a workshop in there. I use a lot of wood working tools (band saw, lathe, planer thicknesser), plus welder and grinders. Ill also want a lighting circuit. All single phase. The cable has to go about 10 m underground and will go under a stone track. the track gets occassional agricultural traffic.

I dont plan to do the eletrical work myself but im trying to work out the safest most practical way of getting the cable from A-B. I wnt to inform myself before I get prices to get the work done and to work out what donkey work I can do myself.

I ve got a heap of questions and any advice would be most welcome.

How deep should my trench be?
What should I back fill with? we are on a hill and when we hve heavy rain there can be a bit of surface water running down the track. Could sand cause the trench to act like a drain?
Is it a good idea to use some form of conduit underground and if so, what?
what type of cable would be best ? Ill get the electrician to specify exact thickness but it would be useful to know what it be likely to be.
Would it be a good idea to get an earth spike?

Thanks in advance

Skinny

Hello Friends,

It is not particularly hard to run underground cable to a detached garage or other outbuilding, especially if you have some basic wiring experience. If you have no experience, then, please take advice from a good electrician other wise it will be a big risk for you.

Thanks and Regards,
Steven Brooks

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not put a 32mm duct or bigger in and then the electrician can then put the cable of his choice in and you have then done the excavating work ready

I think the key he is "under a track used by occassional agricultural vehicles" and thus deeper PLUS mechanical protection would be a minimum.

As others have said get a couple of sparkies round and see what they say but I'd say that the depth should be greater.

I would say the depth will need to be at least a metre, with a loose top surface that won't distribute any weight, and the promise of a tractor or two "me lovers"!! (sorry couldn't resist). The cable needs bedding in on sand, it needs a cable tile and warning tape.

However with the kind of loads you describe you will need to consult a spark as there are quite a few calculations to be done to size the cable correctly!!

Hi

I am planning to put a cable out to a shed to setup a workshop in there. I use a lot of wood working tools (band saw, lathe, planer thicknesser), plus welder and grinders. Ill also want a lighting circuit. All single phase. The cable has to go about 10 m underground and will go under a stone track. the track gets occassional agricultural traffic.

I dont plan to do the eletrical work myself but im trying to work out the safest most practical way of getting the cable from A-B. I wnt to inform myself before I get prices to get the work done and to work out what donkey work I can do myself.

I ve got a heap of questions and any advice would be most welcome.

How deep should my trench be?
What should I back fill with? we are on a hill and when we hve heavy rain there can be a bit of surface water running down the track. Could sand cause the trench to act like a drain?
Is it a good idea to use some form of conduit underground and if so, what?
what type of cable would be best ? Ill get the electrician to specify exact thickness but it would be useful to know what it be likely to be.
Would it be a good idea to get an earth spike?

Thanks in advance

Skinny

How far are you willing to go, to make this cable trench suitable for it's environment?? I get the impression that you would like this cable trench to also act as a drain to take away a certain amount of this surface water during heavy rains?? That can also be achieved, but as i say, it very much depends on how far your willing to go in as far as work and cost investment.

Reply to Underground cable to workshop in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock