Discuss Underground CCTV cable in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

spud1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi I have to run an underground cable approximately 325m from an office to an end of drive gate.
The cable needs to have provision for CCTV, Voice and gate unlocking access control.
Can I have some opinions on the best cable to use?
I was thinking underground, armoured CAT 5 or CAT 6 but can only see 4 pair online.
I'm Concerned about the length of run and subsequent potential losses?

Cheers

why not duct it. sling some RG59 in as well as cat5/6.

Yeah could do but was trying to (if possible) consolidate all functions into one armoured cable?
Ground workers can just drop my cable into the trench then instead of rigmorale of running in ducts.
Also Im always worried about ducts forming a potential reservior of water and submersing the cable.

Yeah could do but was trying to (if possible) consolidate all functions into one armoured cable?
Ground workers can just drop my cable into the trench then instead of rigmorale of running in ducts.
Also Im always worried about ducts forming a potential reservior of water and submersing the cable.

do you not think the ground will get damp?

Damp yes, but if the trench is properly filled and drained (i.e. sand/gravel) the naked armoured cable will never be 'submersed' in water as it could be in a duct.

So the millions of miles if ducting that have cables in are installed incorrectly all over the country? How will you replace the cable if it goes faulty?

if you bring the ends of the duct up within an enclosure of some sort, there's no chance of water getting in. far better to duct than need to dig up a newish laid drive if/when a cable fails.

So the millions of miles if ducting that have cables in are installed incorrectly all over the country? How will you replace the cable if it goes faulty?
There's no need to be sarcastic, I was only expressing my own personal concerns about the potential of reservioring in ducts and subsequent submersion of cables. This is an issue that I have come across before. Due to the route of the proposed trench and the un-likelyness of the installation of any inspection pits, pulling a new cable in to replace a damaged one is probably not going to be possible. This is why I am trying to gauge other peoples opinions and put the right cable in, properly first time.

think OP meant yards and a bit, using them new-fangled foreign measurements.

Your main problem is you will only be able to use analogue cameras, as IP & HD wont work over this distance without boosters.
Normal baluns wont work either....So you have 2 choices, active driven baluns. Personally I would use a Encrypted Videomitter at around £90 plus long range antenna....Alot cheaper than digging up the ground.

Your main problem is you will only be able to use analogue cameras, as IP & HD wont work over this distance without boosters.
Normal baluns wont work either....So you have 2 choices, active driven baluns. Personally I would use a Encrypted Videomitter at around £90 plus long range antenna....Alot cheaper than digging up the ground.
sound good mate plus future proof, but he will still need power there

So no ducts, so there will be no upgrade or repair options avavilable so you are looking at an installation that has no longevity,
I wonder what the client will think when it goes wrong and he is told his driveway will have to be dug up to effect a repair or is the client expecting the impossible with no budget to match
A disaster in the making from what I can see

Reply to Underground CCTV cable in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net