Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. Forum for Trainees.

If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then click HERE The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Undersized Water bonding advice please. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. PJH2903

PJH2903 EF Member

Business Name:
    Hudnott Electric Ltd
    Been out to price for another CU change this evening and would appreciate the groups advice.
    When looking at the job I noticed that the water bonding is undersized at 4mm on 25mm tails so should be 10mm which is not a problem as I can include that in the quote.
    Gas bonding has been done and is 10mm.

The problem I have is when I have gone to look at the main stopcock in the kitchen all the pipework has literally been plastered into the wall so all you can see is the handle of the stopcock. Told the client that I would need to chase the pipework out so I could check and upgrade the bonding accordingly but they would not be keen in this as the kitchen was only redone earlier in the year. The nearest place I could put my bonding without chasing out would be at the kitchen sink which is about 2m away from the stopcock.

How would you all approach this?
    Thanks

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    what'st he earthing arrangement.TN-S or TNC-S?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. wirepuller

wirepuller Forum Mentor

If you can verify the incomer up to the S/C is plastic then you can probably forget it, otherwise it will need to be upgraded. No getout on that one.

4. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

Put it where you can then and make a note on the certificate stating client wouldn’t give permission to chase the wall out.

You can only do so much.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. wirepuller

wirepuller Forum Mentor

Not really relevant, at 4.0mm it's undersized

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. PJH2903

PJH2903 EF Member

Business Name:
    Hudnott Electric Ltd
    TN-S

7. PJH2903

PJH2903 EF Member

Business Name:
    Hudnott Electric Ltd
    Can't see the pipework but the house was built in the late 60's so I would imagine it's going to be metal.

8. Sintra

Sintra The Innkeeper Staff Member Admin

Give it a quick check to see if it is actually extraneous.

9. wirepuller

wirepuller Forum Mentor

Well for TNS the minimum is 6.0mm, not 10mm. If you state on the EIC that there are no signs of thermal damage and you consider it adequate then crack on. Your call, your name on the cert, but realistically it's never going to be a problem despite what I posted above.

• Like Like x 2
  10. PJH2903

PJH2903 EF Member

Business Name:
    Hudnott Electric Ltd
    Think I'll quote for both options and then ring Stroma Tech support in the morning to see what their take would be.

11. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

"Reasonably practicable"
    In relation to how close to the stopcock you need to be. Its not practicable to chase out the pipe, so you put as close as possible - under the sink. At least it can be seen for future EICR's

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Never say never :)
    My home's about that age but at some point they've replaced the water service and there's a nice blue plastic pipe coming up to the stop cock.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ian1981

Ian1981 Forum Mentor

You sure it’s 4mm and not 6mm?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. PJH2903

PJH2903 EF Member

Business Name:
    Hudnott Electric Ltd
    Yes, pulled a bit of 6mm of the van to compare it with to check the size as it looked so small next to the 10mm gas bond.

15. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

There are times when common sense has to be the only course of action ...

Run the 10mm to under the sink .......then it won’t get filled over ... and will be accessible in the future

• Agree Agree x 2