Discuss Understandable attitude? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thanks for the support both of you. , all the people who pressed disagree were apparently saying that. It's a bit depressing getting them every time i log on from people who don't know what they're disagreeing with. Is there any way to remove my post? As i can't edit to clarify.

Nice post, but I'd say at least some testing is a job within reach of anyone who has made changes to an installation. All you need is a multimeter- If you've added a spur then polarity and CPC continuity at a minimum even if you don't have the ability to check R1+R2 etc.

John, you are twisting things. The disagreements were nothing to do with whether or not multimeter tests are better than nothing. For example, if you haven't the ability to carry out R1+R2 test, would you have the ability for an R2 test...and, in the majority of cases, understand about a wander lead to help carry it out.

, TESTING is a job for those with the correct equipment and the knowledge to use it...I don't touch that either

I'd say at least some testing is a job within reach of anyone who has made changes to an installation. All you need is a multimeter- If you've added a spur then polarity and CPC continuity at a minimum even if you don't have the ability to check R1+R2 etc.

you are twisting things. The disagreements were nothing to do with whether or not multimeter tests are better than nothing
Seems you are right, however in my opinion so many posters should not have applied the Disagree label to a post that said that.
As you know I am well aware of the purpose and importance of testing and when encouraging posters to do more testing where they would do none I'd have expected more support.
Anyway I'll get that post removed as it's just causing problems! Cheers.

Seems you are right, however in my opinion so many posters should not have applied the Disagree label to a post that said that.
As you know I am well aware of the purpose and importance of testing and when encouraging posters to do more testing where they would do none I'd have expected more support.
Anyway I'll get that post removed as it's just causing problems! Cheers.

Due to all the replies and Quotes on your posts it is a menial task to unstitch the comments and replies so it will remain, I can see the core meaning of your post but members have responded and I for the majority must agree, you make the suggestion that some tests are better than none, this depends on the context it is presented in, an installation can not be deemed safe unless the full set of tests has been carried out in a certain order and a knowledge of the results to prescribed limits is understood including any adjustments needed for the many correction factors that need to be considered, these are very valid points the members are putting forward, if I can give an analogy it would be like doing a full MOT check and not looking at the brakes in that you can feel somewhat safe until you need to do an emergency stop!
In this industry knowing a little is a dangerous thing as it is easy to get over confident in an area where safety is paramount, simple issues like the bonding arrangement of a house can be deadly if not checked before making an alteration, addition or new circuit, a multimeter is no substitute on its own and in reflection does not give enough info' to the condition, safety and compliance of an installation.
Like has been mentioned, there are no shortcuts or part testings that can be deemed better than nothing as too many assumptions need to be made for the results to be accepted, a simple thing like a broken earth could see a parallel path make it look fine (false positive), you either do the full testing required or your limited results mean nothing.
Electricity is dangerous and it kills it would be ignorant to ignore this and/or complacent to forget this so reflect a little more on your comment and why it has seen so many responses.

Last edited:
Thanks for your post i think it clarifies things a bit!
are very valid points the members are putting forward
I fully understand the importance of testing, no one needs to make that point. The actual point is seemingly harder to explain.
can give an analogy it would be like doing a full MOT check and not looking at the brakes
That is not a related analogy at all. If you want a car analogy, a more correct analogy would be telling someone who won't do an MOT for whatever reason to get a torch and inspect his brakes himself, also test his brake lights and indicators, as at least it would be better than nothing.
you either do the full testing required or your limited results mean nothing.
Also incorrect. From a logical point of view you are saying that since a multimeter can't detect all faults that implies it can't find any. That is not true. The only truth is you can't issue an EIC off the back of the tests, which i don't think the poster i was replying to was planning to fill in either way!

@johnduffell

The analogy was not meant to be related in the sense you prescribe, it was to show that the safety of an install can only be evaluated if all the tests are carried out, you indeed could test say the voltage to earth is correct with a multimeter, R1+R2 or that ring circuits are complete, but you have no way of confirming that the earth path is sufficiently sound to ensure the protective device will trip within prescribed limits, this applies to short circuits and earth leakage devices when required, my point in the analogy was to express you can have the majority of the MOT boxes ticked but if you sidestep the core safety checks it may end up killing you regardless of the fact the other tests showed everything else was ok.
Any Electrician adding to a circuit or making an alteration will need to ensure the existing circuit fully tests out ok to ensure the work can be carried out and the install is correctly earthed and bonded where required, a multimeter will not cut the mustard to confirm this so yes I can see and understand what you were trying to say in that you can do certain tests with a multimeter and get some information from such tests but without the addition of the full testing procedure then this information has little value in the scope of things and worse it can be misleading thus giving one a false sense of security.
I never implied a multimeter cannot detect or show you issues or faults, of course it can and is why it is used as part of the full testing procedure, what I am saying is when you only use a multimeter then a good result may give a false impression that an installation is safe, this is why from a professional stance I must express that the safety of electrical work carried out can only be confirmed with a full set of test procedures, even if you use the meter to confirm R1 + R2 as is often what it is used for then you need to know how to translate the results to know if the cables is in compliance, this is often beyond DIY/Hobbyist knowledge so in reflection used solely on its own it may lend to a dangerous circuit been energised at the risk or life and/or property just because it appeared to give positive results, this ultimately is the dilemma with a forum giving DIY advice and is why we often limit advice and will step in when we deem a DIYer should get a professional in to do or oversee the work if members haven't already pushed that advice forward.

Last edited:
Got you, so i think the only difference of opinion is simply that I support electrical DIYers to improve their knowledge of testing, whereas the professionals on here including yourself would say DIY shouldn't be done at all unless it can be tested fully to bs7671.

Not to mention the other can of worms that the same arguments could be used to say compliance with bs7671 doesn't guarantee safety either, it's just better practice then something lower.

look at the whole bond Vs don't bond debate for one example. TT vs exported earth for outbuildings. There are lots of tradeoffs.

But the benefits of the regs must outweigh the costs. And no one is suggesting we use isolated 110v centre tap or battery power like they do on building sites.

Where the forum stands and is often a point I make is DIY is really a case by case matter and there is no grand overlaying rule but to try generalise it then DIY is the simple tasks like changing a light switch, socket or fitting but even on these points we still must make the member aware of the risks, where we see a DIYer going further like wiring additional, altering existing or new circuits then we like to see a good command of knowledge and regulation awareness, this would be the case if a member with related electrical background but not say domestic wiring wants to use their related field knowledge to do home electrics but even then we would question the testing arrangements as safe advice is the priority here not whether the task been undertaken is a simple one or not.
If a qualified person went to change a light fitting then in his professional position he would still do a few minimal checks like Earth Loop Impedance and possible a visual on the main Earthing and bonding where required so it is a difficult subject to discuss because we do know that there are restrictions to what checks a DIYer can do, there is of course the fact a homeowner has to maintain their own electrics and this also extends to having a periodic inspection done, we know these things don't happen if left to the general homeowner but as long as we make our position clear then we can offer limited advice.
There used to be a foot note for DIYers which explained all this on the older software system before the upgrade, I will check if we still have it in place.

Got you, thanks for the detailed explanation that's fair enough as an overall policy.
So in my original post to the member who said testing is not for him after alterations to circuits, it would have been more effective/simpler to have told the poster not to do those modifications himself in future, and get his existing circuits tested by a qualified electrician.

There seems to be a total oposition to the opinion that some tests are better than none, and that if some tests are done then it is likely to be safer than if no tests are done, still not proved safe (it could of course be perfectly safe) but safer. If an installation has 10 faults, and 5 of them are found with a multimeter, then it is safer, as now it only has 5 faults, but it is still not safe. I don't see how that can be disputed. Using the car example, if a car has faulty brakes and steering, and you fix the brakes, it is still dangerous, but not as dangerous as having faulty brakes and steering.

@Percyprod - you also are taking the analogy out of the context I presented it in, I made it clear that a multimeter can be used and is used as part of the testing sequence to establish certain faults or issues, the point of the analogy as explained in my later post was to show that using a multimeter alone does not prove and installation as safe, I also made the point it can in some cases do more harm than good as it can give false positives as well as a false sense of security to an untrained person, I have had enough apprentices in my days to understand how things are easily misinterpreted.
Would you do your own MOT (if you could) to save a few quid, rectify the faults you find with simple tests but due to lack of knowledge or the equipment to check that the brakes were in good condition or the ABS worked properly you didn't check them, would you then drive your family in it?
People do this blindly in there own houses daily with the electrics and put their life and their families at risk, we cannot stop this but we can educate them the best we can or at least make them aware of the dangers in not having the full tests carried out, that is why we do step in sometimes and close threads if we feel a DIYer should get professional help in and they appear to be ignoring members when this is made clear.

@Percyprod - you also are taking the analogy out of the context I presented it in, I made it clear that a multimeter can be used and is used as part of the testing sequence to establish certain faults or issues, the point of the analogy as explained in my later post was to show that using a multimeter alone does not prove and installation as safe, I also made the point it can in some cases do more harm than good as it can give false positives as well as a false sense of security to an untrained person, I have had enough apprentices in my days to understand how things are easily misinterpreted.
Would you do your own MOT (if you could) to save a few quid, rectify the faults you find with simple tests but due to lack of knowledge or the equipment to check that the brakes were in good condition or the ABS worked properly you didn't check them, would you then drive your family in it?
People do this blindly in there own houses daily with the electrics and put their life and their families at risk, we cannot stop this but we can educate them the best we can or at least make them aware of the dangers in not having the full tests carried out, that is why we do step in sometimes and close threads if we feel a DIYer should get professional help in and they appear to be ignoring members when this is made clear.
ive driven a car with no front brakes or abs, but i agree a multi meter is just a tool i use for quick continuity checks

i think most people think because it doesnt give them continuity between 2 conductors that the insulation is fine , but as soon as current is introduced the insulation can fail, hence insulation res tests and need f0r the big boy testers

To encourage someone to perform inadequate testing can lead to a false sense of security and achievement.
They still don't know how or have the equipment to test to prove the circuit safe and therefore their incompetence is still in place.

Some testing is not better than none at all as the end result is the same, inadequate testing to prove safety.

if your steering fails and you and your car go over a cliff, then it's safer with working brakes.try it sometime.:D:D:D.

Understandable attitude? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to Understandable attitude? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock