Discuss Understanding led & lowering energy cost in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jquadri

Would it be fair to say there are two types of recess lights: Halogen and LED, I am trying ti replace the Halogen recess light with an LED recess light.

The electrician tells me there is no transformer attached to the Halogen lights, he said the Halogen fitting constitute 9w and 50w within rooms. I have no idea how this mixup happened. I also think its strange to connect a 9w or 50w Halogen spot light directly without a transformer.

He also said these Halogen recess lights have no transformer. In switching to LED of say 4w, should we also be investing in a transformer? I am told LED lights come in ac and dc. Is it better to purchase an ac based LED, or purchase a 12v 4wat led.

My aim is to save monthly energy in my switching to LED. I realise my initial investment would be great, but I want to ensure I do it right.

Sorry I if seem confused about my knowledge on LED.

convert to 5watt GU 10 LEDs (240V). ditch transformers if there are any and if necessary change the lampholder. if you look at the bulb itself, the 12V ones have thin straight pins. the 240v GU10s have thicker pins with knobs on the ends.( that's the best way to explain the difference without pics.).

Halogen mr 16 require a transformer , halogen GU10 do not . your existing fittings must be GU10 . If this is the case replace the halogen GU10 with an LED GU10.

From your description you have a mix of halogen light bulbs (50W) and (probably) compact fluorescent light bulbs (9W), however they will all be GU10 fittings as there are no transformers.
Therefore you can change the bulbs to, say, 5W LED GU10 bulbs without problems (unless you have a dimmer switch).

View attachment 35925
Thanks the
From your description you have a mix of halogen light bulbs (50W) and (probably) compact fluorescent light bulbs (9W), however they will all be GU10 fittings as there are no transformers.
Therefore you can change the bulbs to, say, 5W LED GU10 bulbs without problems (unless you have a dimmer switch).

View attachment 35925
The current recess lights looks like the first picture (pin). I dont think the GU10 will fit bacause of the circle heat. Would I have to change the entire holder with a GU10 holder.

you need to pull a fitting out and see exactly what you have.post a picture.

View attachment 35925
Thanks the

View attachment 35925
The current recess lights looks like the first picture (pin). The one with
I think you should consult another spark. Your OP doesn't seem correct to me.....

How many light fittings are you talking about?
There are about 80 lights

Thanks a lot, this is what we have currently

At this point, from your advice I would need to replace all the light holder inorder to fit the recommended GU10. I realise we would need to make a big investment now, but it'll pay off in a few months when the loenergygy LED kicks in. Final question, can you please recommend a good GU10 holder to purchase.

Let me add that this work will be carried out in our holiday home abroad, which is why I want to purchase the parts in here in England before we go back.

View attachment 35926

View attachment 35927

Last edited by a moderator:
There are about 80 lights

Ouch.... you should get a couple of people to visit and give you their thoughts ..... and don't go running out to pound land for cheap carp as you could land yourself in the pan!

If its an office maybe consider replacing them with LED panels.....

Ouch.... you should get a couple of people to visit and give you their thoughts ..... and don't go running out to pound land for cheap carp as you could land yourself in the pan!

If its an office maybe consider replacing them with LED panels.....
Thanks, this requirement is for our holiday home abroad.I dont have the luxury of shipping someone from England just to visit. I want to but everything required to replace the current expensive halogen installation with a GU10 layout

if it's abroad, you need to confirm the supply voltage.

Reply to Understanding led & lowering energy cost in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock