Discuss Understanding minimum CPC requirements? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

as a dedicated scouser, the min size should be 50mm, bare copper preferred.anything less just aint worth taking to the weigh-in.

I see you are with Stroma @happyhippydad I havent had this conversation with the local NICEIC assessor, but when ever I question what the assessors or other such folk say, I say can you show me where that is in the books so I can read up on it later. They quickly move on! Similar things happens with building control poking there noses in when doing visits.

I said I'd be back with reg no

Yet again a contradiction.

On site guide table 4.4(iii) states the 4mm

Under neath in notes the contradiction :
The main protective bonding conductors shall have a cross sectional area not less than half that required for the earthing conductor and not less than 6mm.

So the main protection bonding conductors have to be min6mm and its ok for earthing conductor to be 4mm or even 2.5mm.
Shirley the earthing conductor should have the path of least resistance.

Have I interpreted that correctly?
I hope not.

Yes Pete, you have.

The earthing conductor and bonding conductor serve completely different purposes.

The former is there to carry current and is sized accordingly, the latter is there to equalise potential and is sized accordingly.

It's perfectly reasonable to expect that on many TT installations the bonding conductor/s will be larger than the main earthing conductor.

Yup - shame the muppets who are assessing people don't seem to understand this

I blame the pretty pictures in the front of the OSG
There was one edition of the OSG which said the minimum CSA for the earth in TN-C-S was 6mm2.
I think line and neutral were listed as 25mm2, so it could have been a mis-print for 16?

I have got to admit I didn't know this. Though with the explanations given I totally understand why.

I don't know why I didn't know it.

Anyone else out there didn't know it also? Go on admit it.

Or is it just me and the assessors?

Thanks

Reply to Understanding minimum CPC requirements? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock