Discuss Unidentifed Cables from Main Supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As promised here are some photos of the cable from under the floor:

Cable 1.jpg Cable 2.jpg Cable 3.jpg Join.jpg Junction Boxes.jpg Nail.jpg Waste.jpg

The first 3 photos show the cable running through a metal pipe and then into the neighbour's property. I assume that this means the guy I spoke to from the energy supplier either misunderstood the question or didn't have a clue.

I discovered a few other 'problems' that I am not overly happy about. For example:
  • A broken cable held together without a junction box enclosure with the earth wound together and a little solder.
  • Junction boxes going into junction boxes, I am not sure if this is a radial or ring curcuit.
  • A nail used as cable management/support.
  • Huge amount a waste cable that looks connected further under the floor. Although it mostly looks like telecom cabling, there are definatly some mains cables in there but I don't know if they are live or dead. Needless to say, I am not touching it...
Having seen the mess of cables under the floor, I am tempted to get a quote for a full rewire of the house. Although it is probably not worth it as everything is working as it should.

TL;DR: The mysterious cables are the neighbour's main electricity supply.

Hi - it does need a good tidy up, but likely we've all seen worse. Correct me, the mystery red/black singles go back into the black metal pipe we can see under the floor and onto your neighbour's?

Last edited:
Hi,All
That definately looks like the branch feed to next door by the DNO.
It is fused,due to the fact that it runs in a steel pipe.
Standard practice many moons ago,
If those cables go faulty,New set up now,is concentric cable connected unfused at bottom of cut out,under the cover.

Seeing those cables made me think someone already had! Growing some magic green herbs or running a crypto farm...

Joking aside, is it worth me getting someone to investigate this? I know nothing is 'wrong' with my supply but I don't what to be accused of stealing electricity or get a shock off the cables at some point in the future.
Yeah I’d definitely consider getting the DNO or the electricity board out to have a look.
also I’d look into having an electrician swing by for a gander and possibly an EICR (electrical installation condition report) because from the photo the installation looks poorly done especially with the hacked holes in the top surface of the fusebox
Edit; I’d definitely be acquiring an electrician to do a full in depth EICR based on the board and your later post.

Reply to Unidentifed Cables from Main Supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net