Discuss Unidentified cable in loft - advise needed! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

IT could be a communal tv system like the old Redifussion TV set up we used to have in Basildon that used cable like that and it was run internally from house to house

IT could be a communal tv system like the old Redifussion TV set up we used to have in Basildon that used cable like that and it was run internally from house to house

This one is a little older than the one in the OPs picture.

Octopus.jpg

It has a tag attached detailing the installer and the inspector... it appears to be dated 1957. And yes... that is all rubber insulation :)

Did it have porcelain connectors inside ?

No, it's a black bakelite carriage with brass terminals. It's packed quite tight and has been tinkered with since it was installed as there was a PVC cable linked in.

I'll snap some pics of the innards.

I know I'm abit weird with this, but this place is proving to be a treasure trove of old cable samples for my collection :)

As promised... some pics of the 'Octopus' :)

IMG_20180222_194455797.jpg IMG_20180222_194513043.jpg IMG_20180222_194531397.jpg IMG_20180222_194642576.jpg IMG_20180222_194723145.jpg IMG_20180222_194758837.jpg

And for the younger members who's experience of old rubber cable may be very limited... here's a selection of cables. On the outside, the one on the bottom looks in reasonable condition, but when I was pulling it out, you could hear the insulation inside cracking so I peeled it open to take a look. One of the joys of rubber... over time (or with a liberal application of heat) it can dry out, become brittle and just fall away when touched.

IMG_20180222_195040828.jpg

That box was well done internally SC, and most of the lighting cables back in 1957 appear to have a cpc too ! It's a little bit of history and also a little sad as whoever did it will be very elderly or gone by now.

That box was well done internally SC, and most of the lighting cables back in 1957 appear to have a cpc too ! It's a little bit of history and also a little sad as whoever did it will be very elderly or gone by now.

I was impressed when I opened it. It's possibly the part of the install that was in the best condition.

Most of the accessories have had insulation tape wrapped round conductors and one place where a bunch of cables ran near the heating cables the insulation fell off when I touched it.

The picture is deceptive though... I was surprised when I saw that CPC in the lighting circuit cabling because to that point I hadn't encountered any when cutting the old cabling out. Lots of metal switches too. Scary.

As promised... some pics of the 'Octopus' :)

View attachment 40952 View attachment 40953 View attachment 40954 View attachment 40955 View attachment 40956 View attachment 40957

And for the younger members who's experience of old rubber cable may be very limited... here's a selection of cables. On the outside, the one on the bottom looks in reasonable condition, but when I was pulling it out, you could hear the insulation inside cracking so I peeled it open to take a look. One of the joys of rubber... over time (or with a liberal application of heat) it can dry out, become brittle and just fall away when touched.

View attachment 40958
We have all been there.

Reply to Unidentified cable in loft - advise needed! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net