Discuss Unknown box above external fire exit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
This is actually about a commercial property, but I put it in DIY because it's probably a total noob question and doesn't belong in the professional forums. Simple really - what is this? The box above the fire escape.

Is it a power supply or something for the fire exit sign on the inside, also pictured? I'm guessing so, but then why the lights?

Sorry for the idiot question. Thanks a bunch :)

inside-door.png outside-door.png

I agree it looks like an emergency light, does it have a small green or red LED illuminated somewhere on it?

don't take the money, open the box.

Once worked in a large house which had a green domed light in the hallway. I asked my mate what it was. He said the person living there was deaf, do if the phone rang he wouldn't hear it, so the light flashed instead. Took a week for me to twig he was extracting the you know what!

Once worked in a large house which had a green domed light in the hallway. I asked my mate what it was. He said the person living there was deaf, do if the phone rang he wouldn't hear it, so the light flashed instead. Took a week for me to twig he was extracting the you know what!
You got the last laugh though when you electrocuted him in the shed.

Nah, different mate!

Does not like it is to do with emergency lights as there trunkingvand conduit supplying the light on the inside and a seperate cable on the outside , if was an emergency light you would just wire it back entry from the inside light, and it does not look like any emergency light i have seen

How old is the installation? the only reason that I ask is that we jump through hoops to do an O&M manual and when you turn up to these places its nowhere to be seen. Looks to me like an outside light probably with an emergency element.

I don't think it's an emergency fitting, it would have been done back to back as already said. Possibly some sort of wifi box for stock control etc? A few more pictures of the external box would help.

What sort of premises is this?

It doesn't look like an emergency light I've ever seen but since there's supposed to be an emergency light outside the final exit I would say that's probably what it is.

You could try following the cable back, or switch all the keyswitches you can find - if it comes on then it's probably a light. Since it's not wired back to back with the one inside it could be on a different switch if indeed that's what it is.

Being that I can see black conduit running around with a T box above the fitting makes me think it is part of the outside lighting think also can see three LED's not too similar to some we just put up by D W Windsor.

Thanks everyone. Really sorry - I hate people who post questions like this and then disappear, I didn't mean to but life got in the way a bit.

Anthony and 123 - this is a BRAND NEW industrial estate in Nottingham, the sort where they build various rows of office/warehouse units and then rent them out in blocks. There's an office-half with only a front door (as you can see in the image here) and a warehouse-half, the same size which has a roller shutter on the front and the fire exit on the door. This fire exit is the door I'm talking about in my original question.

As you can see in the attached, the "mystery box" is daisy-chained to others above the fire exits on the other units. I'm 90% sure that everything you see was put in by the constructors, not the current occupants.

Some better pictures attached. Maybe. This is all I have for now, it isn't my site. I'll return there this week and might be able to investigate a little more. I'm surprised at the response, I assumed this would be a bog-standard thing that you lot would instantly recognise. Maybe the world isn't as simple as I hoped. How terrifying.

Rear.png

View attachment Front.JPG

Inside.JPG

Still not sure what the boxes are but wtf is going on with the fluorescent buried in the wall how you going to change that lamp!!!

Ha! I didn't even notice that!

Zoomed in version for anyone else. I wondered if it was a trick of the perspective, but no, it looks like it is plastered in...

light_in_wall.JPG

Thanks everyone. Really sorry - I hate people who post questions like this and then disappear, I didn't mean to but life got in the way a bit.

Anthony and 123 - this is a BRAND NEW industrial estate in Nottingham, the sort where they build various rows of office/warehouse units and then rent them out in blocks. There's an office-half with only a front door (as you can see in the image here) and a warehouse-half, the same size which has a roller shutter on the front and the fire exit on the door. This fire exit is the door I'm talking about in my original question.

As you can see in the attached, the "mystery box" is daisy-chained to others above the fire exits on the other units. I'm 90% sure that everything you see was put in by the constructors, not the current occupants.

Some better pictures attached. Maybe. This is all I have for now, it isn't my site. I'll return there this week and might be able to investigate a little more. I'm surprised at the response, I assumed this would be a bog-standard thing that you lot would instantly recognise. Maybe the world isn't as simple as I hoped. How terrifying.

View attachment 42213

View attachment 42214

View attachment 42215
Biggest laugh I've had all day with that fluorescent light should have been posted in dodgy pictures for your amusement.

That expanded picture confirms my belief that they're emergency lights, especially since they're above all of the doors.

I suspect that since there's a fence to the left of the picture, the path will form the escape route for all of the units, so they'll be linked together because they'll be maintained by the landlord.

A close-up of the light you're trying to identify would be more helpful than pictures of what's inside the units.

• Agree
Reactions: 123
Yes, I know that now. Unfortunately I didn't take these pictures for this purpose, I just took some general pictures of the site, and only later, looking through them, I thought "hmm, whats that?" - so I've shared everything I have for now.

Hopefully, I don't entirely need to know. The job I'm doing is nothing to do with existing wiring, emergency or fire systems, it's a standalone CCTV job. Firstly, I was curious. Secondly, I need to know if this is something I need to be worried about!

I'll be revisiting the site within a week or so, and will post more pictures, as well as a model number or any other details. If nothing else, maybe one day somebody else will need to know, and this post will help them.

Thanks again everyone.

You say is it something that I should worry about as I posted this is supposedly what the O & M manual is for. My money is its landlords outside lighting whether it has got /other fittings have got emergency element should be obvious by indication.

Reply to Unknown box above external fire exit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net