Discuss Unrealistic budget for works? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hodda

Hello

Wonder if someone can assist - looking to sort a new kitchen out and need a bit of work doing so trying to get ballpark figures of spends etc before I start.

All I'm after is some a dive as to whether I am well off to avoid under budgeting really so whats needed:

1) Replace old consumer unit under the stairs (if its any help the main supply meter unit was new a year ago)
2) Add a switch and new light fitting to the back dining room (there isn't one in there at present and I also plan to drop and lower ceiling using baton / PB etc leaving original one in place)
3) Install new wiring for two electric cookers - take it as worst case scenario that these would need to be hard wired (unless they are the ones you can plug straight into a socket - not sure at this stage though)
4)Add two additional sockets along the kitchen wall (I suppose in addition to making good the old wiring from the old cooker as new ones are not going in the same place)

Hope that makes sense - I just wondered how much to put aside roughly for this - I have at present ÂŁ1000 earmarked but I would hope that it might come in a bit cheaper as Im well over budget (fingers crossed not loads more)

Any help discussion appreciated - cheers

first impression from that is ÂŁ1000 is about right, maybe a little less, but bear in mind could be 3 or 4 visits, working round other trades adds time and cost. i think you're close with your estimate.

Well thats good then as long as I'm not more than a couple of hundred out the wrong way

Also if I may ask

- what makes a cooker require hardwiring or use of socket? Is there any way to tell from the rating of it or anything or does it just depend upon each model?

- now I'm also going to be boarding and replastering the wall the new sockets are on - in terms of when to run sockets is it best to do this before the re-boarding or after boarding but before plastering

1.manufactirers instructions on cooker will tell you .

2.you get the cables run in before boarding, then 2nd fix after plastering.

ÂŁ1000 for that ill be more than enough, even for london prices. have couple of local electricians give you quotes.

Reply to Unrealistic budget for works? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net