Discuss Unsafe extension use? Exploded light bulb in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jords

-
Reaction score
Hello, experts!

My questions are:

1) Most importantly... is this safe to use electronics wired as you see in my image below?

2) Why did my light bulb explode?

First of all I have European plugs, not UK ones. As you already can guess my light bulb explode. It happen while switching on a table lamp with a 60 W incandescent light bulb. Usually I use LED bulbs but this light bulb was still from the old days. And this isn't the first time this happened.
Sometimes it explodes and sometimes the light bulb stops working while still being very new.

I'll be thankful for any help!

https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/6sqlIDv.jpg

Hello, experts!

My questions are:

1) Most importantly... is this safe to use electronics wired as you see in my image below?

2) Why did my light bulb explode?

First of all I have European plugs, not UK ones. As you already can guess my light bulb explode. It happen while switching on a table lamp with a 60 W incandescent light bulb. Usually I use LED bulbs but this light bulb was still from the old days. And this isn't the first time this happened.
Sometimes it explodes and sometimes the light bulb stops working while still being very new.

I'll be thankful for any help!

https://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/6sqlIDv.jpg
I would advise you to immediately stop your experiments .

The extension leads cannot make the lamp explode, and should work fine as shown. The only two likely causes are either that the lamps are faulty in manufacture, or the voltage is too high.

If you have a 3-phase supply, a possible cause of excessive voltage is a faulty neutral (zero) connection between the 3-phase source and the individual single-phase circuit powering the wall socket. A high resistance connection can result in different voltages on the three phases, some high, some low.

But if only the lamps are failing, it's probably faulty lamps.

I would advise you to immediately stop your experiments .
Thank you for such a fast answer. I agree, I should stop but it's not an experiment. The wall sockets are just placed in odd places. Everything works fine, it's just that I was curious if this "experiment" like living can cause any issues

The extension leads cannot make the lamp explode, and should work fine as shown. The only two likely causes are either that the lamps are faulty in manufacture, or the voltage is too high.

If you have a 3-phase supply, a possible cause of excessive voltage is a faulty neutral (zero) connection between the 3-phase source and the individual single-phase circuit powering the wall socket. A high resistance connection can result in different voltages on the three phases, some high, some low.

But if only the lamps are failing, it's probably faulty lamps.

Thank you for answering so fast. Hmm.. that sounds that it would make sense about the neutral connection, you mean ground? is that the same?

But on the other hand it's just happening with that lamp only and as you read it's not the first time. It's probably the lamp.

And altogether, what do you say about living like this daily (not talking about the lamp). Having all set up like in my picture. DO you think it's unsafe too?

Did you check the voltage of the bulb you can get 24 volt bulbs an 110 volt bulbs that look the same as 240 volt ones if you fitted one of the lover voltage ones it would explode as soon as you turned it on as per your artistic impresion :)

Only a few things causes bulbs to explode = voltage way too high ! Or a sudden failure of the glass envelope, which can happen if glass is cracked / too thin (cheap) / Or being turned on in a cold enviroment (sudden temp change).
but I would be calling an electrician.

Did you check the voltage of the bulb you can get 24 volt bulbs an 110 volt bulbs that look the same as 240 volt ones if you fitted one of the lover voltage ones it would explode as soon as you turned it on as per your artistic impresion :)

Didn't thought about that. And now it's too late, because the light bulb is shattered. So you say that the light bulbs have voltage written on them. Never seen such thing. Only seen the wattage. But still thank you for the info. It could be that it exploded because of cold temperature just like dmxtothemax says, because we have a little chilly country side house.

Only a few things causes bulbs to explode = voltage way too high ! Or a sudden failure of the glass envelope, which can happen if glass is cracked / too thin (cheap) / Or being turned on in a cold enviroment (sudden temp change).
but I would be calling an electrician.

Guessing from your comments, can I check the voltage somehow? Do I need some device for that? And what voltage should I get out from the lamp?

measure the cold resistance of the lamp. a 240V lamp will read around 60 - 80 ohms. a 12V lamp will be much less, < 10 ohms. a 110V lamp will be roughly in the middle.

The IP address is originating from Syria, the security forces will be raiding your homes.........
Re routed VPN? Can that diagram be re interpreted as wiring for a remote IED :D ? Although, saying that it does look like he’s already got one ;)

Didn't thought about that. And now it's too late, because the light bulb is shattered. So you say that the light bulbs have voltage written on them. Never seen such thing. Only seen the wattage. But still thank you for the info. It could be that it exploded because of cold temperature just like dmxtothemax says, because we have a little chilly country side house.
It normally gives this information on the glass part of the bulb in a circle around the side or top , but I Guess you will never know now unless you get the CSI to reconstruct the bulb for you.:) , the confusion comes with the 24 volt ones because at a quick glance they look like 240 also years I've Known people to nick the bulbs from building sites which are 110 volt :D

Re routed VPN? Can that diagram be re interpreted as wiring for a remote IED :D ? Although, saying that it does look like he’s already got one ;)
Why you guys talking about vpn's and ip's. I don't have a vpn because I can't afford and I am not from Syria. Real fun ha ha :p

And about the IED, it is what it is.

I think I'll need to change that wall socket to a double because this setup is driving myself a little bit mad too :D

It normally gives this information on the glass part of the bulb in a circle around the side or top , but I Guess you will never know now unless you get the CSI to reconstruct the bulb for you.:) , the confusion comes with the 24 volt ones because at a quick glance they look like 240 also years I've Known people to nick the bulbs from building sites which are 110 volt :D
Actually, long story short, especially this light bulb, I got it from an old abandoned school and it was of course used because I unscrewed it from the ceiling and that maybe it works :D Probably should test it before using!

Actually, long story short, especially this light bulb, I got it from an old abandoned school and it was of course used because I unscrewed it from the ceiling and that maybe it works :D Probably should test it before using!
Then that may be why. it could of been part of an emergency light system which would run at a lower voltage

Reply to Unsafe extension use? Exploded light bulb in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net