Discuss Unsafe garage wiring and consumer unit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Recently moved into a new house. Attached a picture of the state of the garage wiring.

There's a mains cable (pretty sure it's direct from the fusebox) going to a junction box. This is connected to a light switch, double socket (fridge/freezer and tumble dryer plugged in) and two light fittings.

I assume it's not part P compliant. Can I just replace it with a 2-way garage consumer unit, with a 32A MCD for the double socket and the 6A MCD for the lighting? And have it certified by an electrician?

20171110_095238(1).jpg

You'd be better off just adding a FSU for the lighting circuit.

What size breaker the incoming cable wired back to at the CU?
Is it RCD protected?

Last edited:
If you are concerned get a local spark to inspect the sub main and garage fuseboard.

Only then will you have facts.

Recently moved into a new house. Attached a picture of the state of the garage wiring.

There's a mains cable (pretty sure it's direct from the fusebox) going to a junction box. This is connected to a light switch, double socket (fridge/freezer and tumble dryer plugged in) and two light fittings.

I assume it's not part P compliant. Can I just replace it with a 2-way garage consumer unit, with a 32A MCD for the double socket and the 6A MCD for the lighting? And have it certified by an electrician?

View attachment 39224
i know a GOOD sparks in LEEDS. NICEIC Approved. honest and genuine, so you won't get ripped off. pm me if you want me to contact him for you.

i know a GOOD sparks in LEEDS. NICEIC Approved. honest and genuine, so you won't get ripped off. pm me if you want me to contact him for you.
Not some dodgy ginger bloke??? :D

View attachment 39224

I assume it's not part P compliant.o_O It should be assessed as to whether it complies with the IEE wiring regulations it has little to do with some obscure part of the building regs

Can I just replace it with a 2-way garage consumer unit, with a 32A MCD for the double socket and the 6A MCD for the lighting? No it needs to be assessed and modified with the Iee wiring regs in mind

And have it certified by an electrician? No,certification eg installation/minor works is for installers (be they electricians or the general public) to record work they carried out themselves
(there is now a scheme available for 3rd party notification procedure )

You could have a inspection report on any alterations you make,bear in mind if you do,this where that building reg Part p now becomes relevant
Is it notifiable or is it not ?

yeah, i've worked with him. good spark, good banter.

Looks to me that the wiring has been adapted over time.
Might find that the original cable is sized for lighting not power.

Reply to Unsafe garage wiring and consumer unit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net