Discuss Untraceable/unknown circuits in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

ajl_02

Upon testing an installation after a fuse board change there are 2 x circuits which ate untraceable. I have left them connected but was just wondering if these circuits would be noted down in the departures from bs7671 box on the install cert??

after a fuse board change
Gasp!!!!!!!!
Untraceable/unknown circuits {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Upon testing an installation after a fuse board change there are 2 x circuits which ate untraceable. I have left them connected but was just wondering if these circuits would be noted down in the departures from bs7671 box on the install cert??

So really they could end under floorboards in a kids bedroom? and you have reconnected them.. Really..

Ive had this before on water heaters where the plumber has just left live cables under flooring and old showers too..

Last edited by a moderator:
You should of tested it before changing consumer unit...

Thats not what the departures box is for, these are departures from regulations but still offering the same level of safety.

Also if you couldn't trace them why connect them back up, leave them disconnected...

How are they 'untraceable'?? If they are left disconnected does anything no longer work? If not, then why reconnect them???

Fair point but why would unknown/untraceable circuits only be a c3 on a PIR test???

If you can't 'trace' them then you shouldn't be doing an EICR.. or changing a CU for that matter. It's not a codeable thing. If you don't know where a circuit goes or what it is for, how is this a C3? How does it not comply with the current regs??

It depends on the install, a untraced circuit that you cant see any danger then a code 3. If an untraced circuit has very low IR then a 2.

But thats beside the point. Your not conducting an EICR you changing a board. how can you reconnect it if you cant confirm your dead tests? or as above why make more work if it doesn't feed anything then leave it disconnected

Depends on the job. If its a cheap EICR where I am testing the absolute minimum and didnt have time to trace the circuit I would code it a 3 for not being able to confirm continuity of cpc to the end.

Personally id prefer to trace it, but I certainly wouldnt be putting them back into the board on a CU change if there were not feeding anything.. Why make more work

If anything it could be flagged as requiring further investigation. But if they genuinely don't serve a purpose, just leave them disconnected and get on with your life! :)

I did a kitchen rewire last year and found an FCU feeding a 1.5mm T&E into a wall which disappeared to nowhere!! After I disconnected it I tried allsorts; outside lights, looked for spurs, under cupboard lights, extractor. All still worked.

Owner said it had just always been switched on and they never turned it off.

I left it disconnected and told the owner if they noticed anything not working I would go and test/reconnect it. I've still not heard anything to this day.

I thought that all circuits on a CU have to be marked for the purpose they serve. e.g. Kitchen.. How can you quote to replace a CU and add the circuits back in without knowing what they do? What did you put on the new CU? What was on the original CU? What fuse rating was the original circuits wired to?
You can understand how the general public get the wrong image about electricians when they get someone to do a job and they expect the job to be done only to be told that they have to spend more money cause the job was not done fully in the first place..

The old board was a 3036 board with no labels at all. I've replaced it with a dual rcd board. Traced all circuits and labelled new board but there's 2 circuits which I couldn't trace. I've just been and disconnected the 2 circuits and have now just left them as spare ways in the board. I left them in because the electrics haven't been touched since the house was built until I changed the board. All sorted now.

Reply to Untraceable/unknown circuits in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock