Discuss Unused radial circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JezzaLew

Hi there
I want to install 2 triple 13 amp sockets on a radial circuit which was used for an immersion heater (now removed).
The circuit terminates in a 16 amp RCD in a new CU. The wiring passed inspection for the immersion heater.

Is it OK to reuse the circuit for this purpose and can I use a junction box to extend the circuit.

If so what sort of junction box would you recommend ?

Regards Jezza

Yes it would be OK to re-use the circuit.
Most JBs would be suitable, or what I would do, is use the existing box that was used to connect the immersion heater, and either replace the front with a socket front or a blanking plate.
I assume the immersion heater was in a cupboard, which still exists, you could perhaps use a socket-outlet in the cupboard to charge a cordless hoover or something.

Yes it would be OK to re-use the circuit.
Most JBs would be suitable, or what I would do, is use the existing box that was used to connect the immersion heater, and either replace the front with a socket front or a blanking plate.
I assume the immersion heater was in a cupboard, which still exists, you could perhaps use a socket-outlet in the cupboard to charge a cordless hoover or something.
yep......all better options than hidden joints.....
i hate `em....me...

Thanks for the response all
As I said originlly I wanted to install 2 X triple sockets. Is there no way I could do this - with extra fuses on the circuit or something ?

Regards jezza

Replace immersion switch with FCU and fit 13A fuse? Daz

The cable is a 2.5

Provided the circuit is protected by a 20A breaker you can fit as many outlets as you like. Bearing in mind the maximum current you can draw.

BasicWiringLayout.gif

Last edited:
You don't need any extra fuses.
You state that the circuit is protected by a 16A RCD (more likely an RCBO).
If that is the case, then you can add as many sockets as you want.

How did that diagram get in there?
It wasn't there when I made my post.

Hang on a minute, thta's a 16th edition board.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need any extra fuses.
You state that the circuit is protected by a 16A RCD (more likely an RCBO).
If that is the case, then you can add as many sockets as you want.

How did that diagram get in there?
It wasn't there when I made my post.

Hang on a minute, thta's a 16th edition board.

Diagram was for illustration only.. Not an installation guide,,,,,

Many thanks for all your advice !!
To make sure I'm clear on wot I can do..............
The circuit terminates in a Wylex breaker B16 30mA (NHXSBS1B16) which I believe is a 16 amp RCBO - am I right ?

So providing the cable on the circuit is a 2.5 I believe I can install 2 X triple sockets (my original requirement) without a problem - is this right ?
If the cable was a 1.5 I would need to install a 13 amp FCU before the 2 triple sockets - is this right ?

I will be using the sockets for kitchen appliances eg kettle, fridge/freezer, food processor - is this OK ?

The only other confusion I have is that Golden Boy says a 20 amp breaker is needed and spinlondon says 16 amp is OK - which is right ??

Regards Jezza

Many thanks for all your advice !!
To make sure I'm clear on wot I can do..............
The circuit terminates in a Wylex breaker B16 30mA (NHXSBS1B16) which I believe is a 16 amp RCBO - am I right ?

So providing the cable on the circuit is a 2.5 I believe I can install 2 X triple sockets (my original requirement) without a problem - is this right ?
If the cable was a 1.5 I would need to install a 13 amp FCU before the 2 triple sockets - is this right ?

I will be using the sockets for kitchen appliances eg kettle, fridge/freezer, food processor - is this OK ?

The only other confusion I have is that Golden Boy says a 20 amp breaker is needed and spinlondon says 16 amp is OK - which is right ??

Regards Jezza

Both are right.

Reply to Unused radial circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net