Discuss Update on Fire alarms and Em. Lighting course as promised in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

The Ghost

So three days and half a K later am I wiser?
Not having anything to compare it to it is hard to benchmark. However the tutor was good knows his stuff and fielded questions very well. The course was well organised. The food was ermmm well could have been more varied.
Two days were spent on BS5839-1:2017 and BS5839-6:2013. We were artfully shoehorned into the BS books and key facts as well as how to reference material in them. We were let loose on rigs and told to find at least five faults. I found that a bit daunting as I have done little to nothing on fire alarms. But you can access BS which tells you exactly what you need to look for, that and the preceding lessons, and given you are at least an electrician provided enough fodder to get on with it. There was some small sense of achievement as well as a burgeoning sense that yes it is perfectly logical and really simple circuits, I can do this. Then liven up the rig and test the components and check on the panel for the correct lights going on. Canned smoke, break glass test, heat applied to heat detectors very sensible and orderly really.
Then (after learning application of types of detector and required locations,spacing etc.) design a simple residential large house fire alarm system and designate categories and grades. The books become more and more valuable and you reference them more and more. Very accessible in their organisation indeed. Unlike BS7671. Then a little exam maybe 20 questions with 100% pass mark required. You would have to be an idiot to get this wrong. You have the books and now you have to use them, do so correctly and you can't go wrong. Commercial the first day then domestic the second. You begin to see you have to have both books as they are interdependant. Especially BS....-6 to BS....-1
All in all I came out thinking yes I could design, install, commission, test, service and certify a fire alarm system. It would take some thinking but certainly within my grasp. The beauty of it is though you don't actually have to as you are required to receive the design from the user.
Then on to emergency lights again very good again BS standards abound, three books this time! (forget the holiday you just planned) Cleared up a number of issues and shone a torch on exactly what I should and should not be doing. Really good and clear again on the testing commissioning (its all in the book)
Over all I feel much more confident around such systems, no doubt I will receive a bit of paper in a few weeks bearing this out. I think money well spent as I have come out of it with a sense of fire alarms and emergency lighting are no longer a mystery. I do actually understand them even though at a rudimentary level. Not massive systems that really are complex with visual monitoring etc. with cameras. Risk assessment especially commercially is in its own class and way beyond my remit. But then many aspects of fire alarms and em. lighting are the responsibility of others. Certainly this will equip one to design and install as well as certify the average installation we are likely to encounter. Anyway I will stop wittering on.

I'm doing this later on in the year so it's nice to see a write up on the course, thanks.

So three days and half a K later am I wiser?
Not having anything to compare it to it is hard to benchmark. However the tutor was good knows his stuff and fielded questions very well. The course was well organised. The food was ermmm well could have been more varied.
Two days were spent on BS5839-1:2017 and BS5839-6:2013. We were artfully shoehorned into the BS books and key facts as well as how to reference material in them. We were let loose on rigs and told to find at least five faults. I found that a bit daunting as I have done little to nothing on fire alarms. But you can access BS which tells you exactly what you need to look for, that and the preceding lessons, and given you are at least an electrician provided enough fodder to get on with it. There was some small sense of achievement as well as a burgeoning sense that yes it is perfectly logical and really simple circuits, I can do this. Then liven up the rig and test the components and check on the panel for the correct lights going on. Canned smoke, break glass test, heat applied to heat detectors very sensible and orderly really.
Then (after learning application of types of detector and required locations,spacing etc.) design a simple residential large house fire alarm system and designate categories and grades. The books become more and more valuable and you reference them more and more. Very accessible in their organisation indeed. Unlike BS7671. Then a little exam maybe 20 questions with 100% pass mark required. You would have to be an idiot to get this wrong. You have the books and now you have to use them, do so correctly and you can't go wrong. Commercial the first day then domestic the second. You begin to see you have to have both books as they are interdependant. Especially BS....-6 to BS....-1
All in all I came out thinking yes I could design, install, commission, test, service and certify a fire alarm system. It would take some thinking but certainly within my grasp. The beauty of it is though you don't actually have to as you are required to receive the design from the user.
Then on to emergency lights again very good again BS standards abound, three books this time! (forget the holiday you just planned) Cleared up a number of issues and shone a torch on exactly what I should and should not be doing. Really good and clear again on the testing commissioning (its all in the book)
Over all I feel much more confident around such systems, no doubt I will receive a bit of paper in a few weeks bearing this out. I think money well spent as I have come out of it with a sense of fire alarms and emergency lighting are no longer a mystery. I do actually understand them even though at a rudimentary level. Not massive systems that really are complex with visual monitoring etc. with cameras. Risk assessment especially commercially is in its own class and way beyond my remit. But then many aspects of fire alarms and em. lighting are the responsibility of others. Certainly this will equip one to design and install as well as certify the average installation we are likely to encounter. Anyway I will stop wittering on.
Can you clarify what you mean Re the above (in bold). And thanks for the feedback!

Can you clarify what you mean Re the above
Normally the category and grade of domestic systems is out of your hands and much the same with commercial. Insurers may specify L1 system and the owner only wants to pay for L3 tough for the owner. New build will be covered by the designer/architect and enforcing fire officer so it will be a fait accompli. Commissioning may be required by a third party. Verification may be stipulated by the owner from an independent third party also. As to design ordinarily the responsible person will have to have done a risk assessment and identified what emergency lighting is required and what fire alarms where and type of alarms. In turn they again will be subject to the fire officers and other enforcing authority. You will normally just be following a drawing and it may not be compliant with BS standards on fire or em lighting. This will be noted accordingly and where such variations and deviations arose from. If you were asked by the owner of a house for instance they may specify they dont want manual call points all over the house and don't want any detectors in the kitchen for some reason. As long as the enforcing authorities do not specifically not authorise this they can order what they wish. The important thing to take away from it is that liability will rest in places other than your shoulders solely.

Last edited by a moderator:
is this another piece of paper to wipe
Thanks for that. No too expensive for my poor a""$. I managed to get BS....6 for £85 as someone lost a copy bought one then found the lost one! As for the rest...My lips are sealed. Although I strongly resent five books at the cost of £1250 where the EN 50172 is only 10 pages four of which are just bumph! and one of the other ones its an absolute rip off.

In fact now you've got me going it's an outrage that we have to work to these standards and to get them involves such an outlay as we can't work to what we may not be able to afford. And don't tell me about libraries.

Reply to Update on Fire alarms and Em. Lighting course as promised in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock