Discuss Updating my 1985 Fusebox in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

liamj2003

Hi all,;)

I have included a photo of my fuse box, as Im unsure of the type (name), Question is:

Im aware there is no protection, with as it stands now, I understand I can just break away the front of the fuse casing to house larger fuses but with switches (if this right) and what are these switches called (micro RCDS or something)

Currently I run all my computer, TV etc from a surge protector, but I have recently installed additional sockets, including one that sits mid level directly behind my flatscreen tv on wall (power socket for TV) and obvoiusly this is no longer surge protected so I guess I need to update my fusebox so some sort of surge protection is in place. (is that right)

Any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks

Liam
16122010010.jpg

It looks like an old Wylex rewireable fuse box. Wylex do a replacement fuse carrier that will take an MCB. That will not however provide any RCD protection, if that's the type of protection you want.

I'd strongly advise contacting a local qualified and registered electrician for this work.

It looks like an old Wylex rewireable fuse box. Wylex do a replacement fuse carrier that will take an MCB. That will not however provide any RCD protection, if that's the type of protection you want.

I'd strongly advise contacting a local qualified and registered electrician for this work.

I just dont want my TV to have a surge of power if a storm happens and blow it up, I just need to replace my external plug in surge protector for a built in one I imagine. is that right?

Liam.

Bythe sounds of your post i dont think that you are an electrician, and youshould arrange for a electrician to replace fuse box for you. when we replace fusboxeswe also test the cables and circuits to make sure they are safe and don’t presenta hazard.

Yes your right Im no electrician, but always cautious and wouldnt play about with anything more than adding an additional socket (and Im waiting for those to be signed off before the electrician connects them) Its sounds by your answers that Im maybe getting confused,
This is it in a nutshell - My TV used to be plugged into a surge protector extension lead, now it has its own dedicated single socket directly behind TV mid level up wall (as TV is on wall) Am I right in thinking that it is now no longer protected from an electrical surge, so How do I protect it again, do I need it protected?? Im worried my old fuse box will not serve any protection as it currently stands (see pic) so I guess thats what the MCB's are for. (yeah or not)

Many Thanks once again

Liam

Suggestion...!!

Get a local spark to price you up a New Consumer Unit with RCBO Protection
also get him to cost in a 230-250 surge protection module to fit on the unit also!!

i would suggest a price of around ÂŁ500 (providing no electrical bonding is required to gas and water, if so budget a further ÂŁ100-250 depending on cable run) will get you up to speed and fully protected from SURGE / Electric Shock and Overload...!!!

use this link to check for a local spark..!

Local Authority Building Control - SEARCH

as any work done at teh fuse box in terms of upgrades needs building control notification etc...!

Just to clarify

MCB / Fuse = overload protection for the circuit pulling to much power and melting the cables
RCD = Protection from electric shock
Surge Protection = Protection from electrical surges on the grid coming in to your home and blowing the tv etc up...

RCBO = MCB + RCD combined :)

if you changed the fuses to switches you will still not have surge protection to that socket!!

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing for sure, your not going to get surge protection units, and the RCBOs in that sized recessed CU, Much better to use a surfaced mounted CU over the old CU back box of sufficient size to accommodate the P/Os needs.... Preferably of a make, that has all of it's RCBOs readily available!! lol!!!

if you post your location , ther might well be one on here can come and sort it for you.

i agree with what the guys say , upgrade you Fuse box (Consumer unit ,Sorry being a bit watsit today lol ) but doing this will not protect from lightning strikes as i have found out , melted my surge protector blew up my PC to opps , insurance paid up though , but agree with the guys get a surge protector socket and use this , most surge protectors come with a guarentee that if equipment is damaged you will be covered up to a set amount

Nick

One thing for sure, your not going to get surge protection units, and the RCBOs in that sized recessed CU, Much better to use a surfaced mounted CU over the old CU back box of sufficient size to accommodate the P/Os needs.... Preferably of a make, that has all of it's RCBOs readily available!! lol!!!

lost me Engineer!!! who mentioned the CU was recessed??? look like a standard surface one to me! check the shadow on wall... :)
you been playing a a Nintento 3ds and screwing ya eyesight up lol..

Better to use a Furse surge protection unit fitted into the CU unit, this will protect the whole installation and far more robust than surge protected sockets and extension leads...

lost me Engineer!!! who mentioned the CU was recessed??? look like a standard surface one to me! check the shadow on wall... :)
you been playing a a Nintento 3ds and screwing ya eyesight up lol..

Just had another look at the photo, still looks recessed/flush to me!!! Quite common to find too from that era!!!

Best let the OP to confirm then ...surface or flush!!! lol!!!

Just had another look at the photo, still looks recessed/flush to me!!! Quite common to find too from that era!!!

Best let the OP to confirm then ...surface or flush!!! lol!!!

They're quite often recessed as E54 says mounted on the old wooden frame on brick then plastered in

Reply to Updating my 1985 Fusebox in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net