Discuss Upgrade outdoor bulkhead to PIR Floodlight - Does it need to be certified? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

wisefox20

Hi, a bit of advise needed I think. Following the theft of a bike from my garden this week I am hoping to upgrade the old outdoor bulkhead light by my back door with a PIR controlled floodlight. I'd like to use the existing wiring to feed it and fit a separate PIR which is linked to a new flood (i'd like to install the PIR on the wooden frame of the lean-to a few metres away so that the range will definitely reach the back gate. The flood would be installed on the brick wall near the existing fitting/back door.

The present feed into the bulkhead is a bit like a loop in light fitting. There is a three core coming in (inc mains live, light switch live, neutral and earth), then a two core (with earth) going back inside to the next light and switch in the downstairs toilet. At the moment these wires are all inside the bulkhead light (with the mains live connected to the live of the outgoing toilet light switch cable). I was thinking of replacing this with a weathershield junction box (on the outside wall) and then run an armoured outdoor cable to the PIR sensor, then a cable from the PIR back to the flood. The wires are all chased and plastered over on the inside hence the outside junction box.

Essentially this is a replacement fitting but i note there are changes to the setup too. Can anyone advise whether i can do this myself? Or does it need to be certified?
Any advise on the wiring would be welcome. I've read also that my indoor switch should really be fused, which it isn't at present.

Thanks.

hmm. your indoor switch need not be fused if it's on the lighting circuit. the way you suggest sounds reasonable, but a minor works certificate should be completed .

Reply to Upgrade outdoor bulkhead to PIR Floodlight - Does it need to be certified? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock