Discuss Upgrade to three phase supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MichaelS

Hi all,

Newbie here with no electrical experience so please be gentle! :blush:

I am currently refurbishing my basement flat and during this we have discovered that the supply to the four flats is single phase. I have been told this is unsafe and insufficient for the four flats. U.K. Power networks initially came over and the engineer couldn't believe how it was setup, four separate metres on a single phase and was amazed that there had been no burnouts.

My questions:
Is this unsafe and does it need to be changed?
Who is responsible for upgrading and paying for the upgrade?
If it is the freeholders, is there a way to make this a legal requirement?
Is there a way to make either Uk Power or the electricity companies to do it?

Many thanks

Michael

View attachment 35207

Is that not a 3 phase feed that is split per flat then?

Two days running and a head with four fuses. Must admit looks a bit Heath Robinson with the three left fuses connected from the original one but they could be soundly connected. Whether it is dangerous or not cannot be judged by looking at a picture. Who has told you it is unsafe.

You need to swap places with the people who have this already installed: Domestic Supply ? - http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/domestic-supply.118210/ :)

It's up to the DNO whether it's considered safe, the applicable regs are different to those for the electrical installation itself. Based on what I wrote in that thread, it's probably not recommended practice, depending on how the fuses are physically fitted and the size of the service cable. The specific fact of being single-phase is not in itself dangerous.

Surely, the only problem is if the supplier's cable is of insufficient current rating for the load. If it fails, then it's up to the supplier to replace it.

If the heating and hot water for the flats is by gas, then I doubt that there will be a problem. If heating is electric, then maybe a review of the situation is required.

Reply to Upgrade to three phase supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock