Discuss Upgrading tails in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi everyone,
I am sure this has been discussed many times but what do people think with regards to upgrading the fuse board tails on a consumer unit change? I have one to price up for a flat where the meter cuboard is outside the building, and the tails are run through the hallway up a riser cuboard through the loft space and down in to the fuseboard.
Would you just change the board (after testing) or would you upgrade everything from the meter and put in a isolator etc? As definitely a long way away from each other.
Thanks interested to hear people thoughts

depends on the total load demand and the size of the supplier's fuse.

Personally no if they test out ok I think it's fine as not adding anything. But the guy I subby for always a says to upgrade the tails. So was interested in people's thoughts as this would be a big job to renew

For what reason? Make money? That's just plain stupid...

There are very few sites that actually need the tails upgraded IMHO.

I have been asked to upgrade tails from cut out to meter, by Electrical contractors, when the supply is 60amp cut out.? I just walk away. The older type you can't get 25mm in anyway.

For what reason? Make money? That's just plain stupid...

There are very few sites that actually need the tails upgraded IMHO.

You'd be amazed at the number of electricians that state "Gotta be upgraded to 25mm tails since the 17th came out. It's the regs"

What current size are they, does it have circuit protection from the meter cupboard sounds like a long run.

In general terms, I always invariably upgrade to 25mm, usually because the old tails are never long enough for the new CU. However in this case I would agree with previous posts, only if the distribution circuit is per the current regs.

Reply to Upgrading tails in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock