Discuss Urgent: 60 amp main cut out fuse required in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I put a nail thru 16mm t&e feeding top play I was working In, it took out the 60A switched fuse for the flat and the main 60A cut out, I called DNO who changed the main after I repaired the fault and the guy gave me 3 old fuses and a hand full of seals "just it case"

Well personally I wanted to be their when the fuse went in to make sure I had the fault fixed. Given the day it is and the time waiting about for the Dno and the fact it was 30 miles from my home, I decided was best to take half hour of my time to get some fuses.

One happy customer who was about to up root a family for Christmas

As they did last night. They had a proper IP socket by the front door for the lights there.

They didn't show me Blackpool illuminations in the back garden!

i'm struggling to understand how garden fairy lights blew the service fuse ?
surely theres a plug top fuse and the ring main device fitted downstream of the
dno cut-out ?

Got to aggree with Biff here!

I wonder if their is another fault as with the garden lights you would expect the plug and maybe the MCB /Fuse for the cct to go but not the main 60 !

well it did!

Like i said before seen it a few times, last one was a screw in a cable, someone fitting surround sound speakers. dead short..

why don't you PM me some more abuse ????

there some great/helpful information and people on this forum, but there some strange ones on here.

I too have had a 60A DNO fuse blown due to water getting through a wall running down the twin and earths an causing a short at the socket outlet. The 3036 30A fuse was still ok.
I also caused a 60A to blow when I hit a diagonally run cooker cable while chasing out ,again the 30A 3036 was intact. Maybe years of overloading weakens them enough that they blow slightly faster than a 3036 under fault conditions.

You simply can’t beat the “bang” test for fault finding. I always thought the method was repair fault, replace fuse. Just shows how far behind the times I am.

PS regarding the extension lead, pull the other one it’s got bells on it.

Reply to Urgent: 60 amp main cut out fuse required in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net