Discuss Urgent - Earth Fault Loop Paths in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

paul2k

Good morning,

I'm wondering if someone could help with explaining EARTH FAULT LOOP PATHS in a competent way for TT, TN-S, TN-C-S systems. I can draw them on a diagram however find it difficult to explain things. I'm currently doing a HND in Electrical Engineering and unfortunately have poor materials to reference an explanation.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
A drawing will be the best way to explain them.

Although you may need to explain the difference in each of the esrthing arrangements you have mentioned. Do you know this?

Yes the diagrams are not an issue, however I don't have good enough materials to explain the earth fault paths correctly, hence I'm finding it a little difficult. The diagrams are already provided as all we have to do is explain the path.

So why is this so urgent on a Sunday morning marra? Homework due in tomorrow?
You could always try the time honoured "my dog ate it sir" excuse.
:)

Can you not just explain the various methods employed by which the earth fault current returns to the transformers centre point.
How that's achieved, along with the different resistance values and means of disconnection within the prescribed times.
You know the theory behind (DNO values of) TNC-S (PME) @ 0.35, TN-S @ 0.8, or TT @ 21.
Just take it from there and put pen to paper.

I would probably start my description with a description of the current path in a normal circuit.
Gen set/transformer to current using device in installation, then return path via the neutral conductor to the star point at the Gen set/transformer.
I would then explain that in the event of a line to earth fault, the return path uses the means of earthing instead of, or as well as the neutral return path.
I would then go on to explain that with TT installations, the mass of the earth is used as part of the earth fault path, with TN-S, a separate earth conductor is used, and with TN-C and TN-C-S, the neutral conductor is used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feels like your in a school playground first thing Monday morning.
Your mate hasn't done his homework and your frantically helping him to get it all written down before the teach asks for it.
Alternative is bend over lad, and a cane across yer backside.
Oops, they don't do that anymore !!
Just showed my age. :icon12:

Feels like your in a school playground first thing Monday morning.
Your mate hasn't done his homework and your frantically helping him to get it all written down before the teach asks for it.
Alternative is bend over lad, and a cane across yer backside.
Oops, they don't do that anymore !!
Just showed my age. :icon12:

Me too.

I remember it wasn't just the cane- it was the gym slipper, strap and blackboard ruler. In fact almost anything that came to hand, but no matter what it was it bloody hurt!!

Happy days!! :)

Reply to Urgent - Earth Fault Loop Paths in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock