Discuss Urgent Electrican required Basingstoke area to connect nurseing home to DNO generator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: Urgent Electrican required Basingstoke area to connect nurseing home to DNO gener

the money these nursing homes coin in is obscene. they should have spent some of it on a back-up genny.

Re: Urgent Electrican required Basingstoke area to connect nurseing home to DNO gener

So who does their regular maintenance, do they offer a call out service?

Boydy

Glen / Tony, if this is going to carry on where that other pitiful thread left off then I'd ask you in advance you not go that route.

they'd be able to have food fights and pillow fights.

It was only last week they had a comedian in the home he wasn't funny but they all wet themselves anyway :oops:

Wheres the backup generator?
Calor gas heaters not invented down their way?
Residents not taken to the bathroom and left to soil their beds?
Sounds more like an abuse centre than a care home.....
None of them have family who could have been contacted?

Like Boydy says , who does their maintenance and why are they not attending?

Some of you guys should be ashamed. One day you might be in that situation. Yes we all know the jokes but lay off. We can't all live on a hill.

Anyone in the Basingstoke area able to assist? Nursing home has been off supply, generator supplied by DNO but no one to connect it up.
BBC News - Hampshire nursing home left without power since Monday

So the DNO delivered one of their own generators, but didn't have anyone to connect it into the nursing homes system, ....and we are meant to believe that!! pull the other leg it's got bells on!!

Since when would the DNO let anyone play around with one of their own temporary supply generators, none of which are going to be those tiny site type generators.... Did they also leave a fuel tank with enough fuel to run the generator?? Something just doesn't sound right to me here!!

So the DNO delivered one of their own generators, but didn't have anyone to connect it into the nursing homes system, ....and we are meant to believe that!! pull the other leg it's got bells on!!

Since when would the DNO let anyone play around with one of their own temporary supply generators, none of which are going to be those tiny site type generators.... Did they also leave a fuel tank with enough fuel to run the generator?? Something just doesn't sound right to me here!!

I'm going to have a wild stab in the dark and say that this probably has to do with Part P. The connection would logically have to be made downstream of the installation meter, which makes it part of the consumers install, and the DNO's, ironically, aren't Part P registered which means that a linesman wouldn't be able to hook it up.

Then surely the DNO would bring in a qualified subby?

Boydy

Probably the engineers who would do the connection were probably on call elsewhere, the genny was probably dropped from a local depot and the person doing the drop likely wasn't certified to make the connection.
I know SSE has different engineers for different tasks, guys who diagnose a power cut aren't certified jointers, meaning they come out...state the obvious, make a call, then leave, out come the digging crew and if your lucky the jointing team aren't far behind, the ground re-instatement guys can come out anytime up to 10days to 14 days later....

Nursing homes are just a business, with no care theses days..lost most of our nursing homes to a major blue chip company.
3 weeks ago, got a phone call from one home, saying they have had no power for 3 days in 25% of the home. Patients were moved around, and even sleeping in day rooms. Please could we help, phone their new blue chip company, would said they had no contractors in the area, and could we help. Got to good sparks down for them within the hour...Now just hope they get paid. Tried to speak to the director of the home group, to talk abaut this and other phone calls were getting....but hes in Pakistan for 4 weeks. Most of the caretakers have also been layed off, as they are no longer required.....very said way we treat our old folk in the UK

I'm going to have a wild stab in the dark and say that this probably has to do with Part P. The connection would logically have to be made downstream of the installation meter, which makes it part of the consumers install, and the DNO's, ironically, aren't Part P registered which means that a linesman wouldn't be able to hook it up.

They don't seem to have any trouble temporarily connecting up a row shops while they repair/replace a cable in the high street and the like!!

Linesmen tend to work on overhead lines, and are not normally considered as electricians. I don't know what's different now, but a very good friend went through an Eastern Electricity apprenticeship, around the same time i was doing mine. Which covered just about everything on the LV side of things, and even to Certified Person on the MV side of things.

Probably the engineers who would do the connection were probably on call elsewhere, the genny was probably dropped from a local depot and the person doing the drop likely wasn't certified to make the connection.
I know SSE has different engineers for different tasks, guys who diagnose a power cut aren't certified jointers, meaning they come out...state the obvious, make a call, then leave, out come the digging crew and if your lucky the jointing team aren't far behind, the ground re-instatement guys can come out anytime up to 10days to 14 days later....

I'd say you'd be lucky to see more than one or two Area Engineers in over the Xmas period, and you wouldn't see them diagnosing or connecting anything. They tend to leave those tasks to the qualified staff electricians!!... lol!!

I think like you E54, something just isn’t right about this.

Reply to Urgent Electrican required Basingstoke area to connect nurseing home to DNO generator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net