Discuss Urgent help with domestic supply in my house in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I know but i test every thing before i touch it to make sure it is dead i wouldnt work live and i am not sure the exact model but its made by fluke it is my bosses that i had in my car

Fluke are Damned good meters, but for proving safe Isolation you need to get yourself a nice GS38 rated 2 pole tester. (Nice late Christmas pressy:yesnod:) For day to day testing on most things that's all you need, buy 1 with a Continuity feature built in.

I know i should not of by passed the meter i know this but i did not break any seals i wouldnt break them as i know they can refuse me a supply your all saying that i did cut them but i have no reason to lie to any of you i did not cut any seals
Its not the seals thats the priority here...(or what may have wound a few up in here matey)......seals are just stickers and lead-crimped wire .....its your life mate that you are risking here...........

What do u mean "get some pics" do u mean of the work they will be doing out side cos they wont let me will they?

If your takeing pictures in a Public place mate, i don't think they can stop you.
Go out & have a chat with them, tell them your an apprentice sparky & your interested in their job. You'd be surprised how most of them will open up to you.
It's those Metering boys you've got to watch out for, they're all crabby buggers:tounge_smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
What do u mean "get some pics" do u mean of the work they will be doing out side cos they wont let me will they?
and why wont they let you......if its on a public highway then they cant stop you can they.......the highway`s not their own personal property now is it and if they did stop you taking pics (from the edge of their working area/barrier of course)....then that would be an argument for yanking down all the speed cameras and spy cameras that are all over the place now wouldn`t it..?..

Last edited:
Under the Designs, Patents and Copyrights Act 1988 it is not possible to copyright or protect a view from a public place unless you climb the barriers. But, if you photograph the operative in the course of his work without his permission then you can fall foul of Invasion of Privacy.

As has been said tell them you’re an apprentice and nine times out of ten they will be happy to let you watch and photograph. You’ll probably get a running commentary.

I know i should not of by passed the meter i know this but i did not break any seals i wouldnt break them as i know they can refuse me a supply your all saying that i did cut them but i have no reason to lie to any of you i did not cut any seals

no one cares you cut a seal,many have done it before, i have,so what,but the fact you bypassed the meter /fuse is frighting in the least from an experienced spark never mind a learner,the best way to find a fault if you dont have the knowledge is ask,not experiment.

I recently watched a jointer doing a breach joint. He originally trained at the same place as me and by the same guy. We were laughing when he showed me the plastic cages used for separation and the mechanical connectors now used. Both he and I were taught to solder the cores. A joint or breach is so much quicker now, but the care and skill needed is still there.
Took me ages to get home with the little sidetrack.

Go out & have a chat with them, tell them your an apprentice sparky & your interested in their job. You'd be surprised how most of them will open up to you.

Await the sarcastic comments asking what you've been messing with in order to create that mess and call them out ;)

Make sure you supply the tea, coffee and biscuits and I'm sure you'll be in good favour :thumbsup

lol...... i like how folk are more bothered about you cutting the seal on the meter rather than the fact that you bypassed the meter....... Quality!! By the way i cut the seals atleast once a week so i can remove the cut out fuse when replacing a consumer unit. Stops me from working live and blowing meself up. lol.
I wonder if your earthing system is pme and your neutral has blown off in the road and relying on the earth as neautral?

Hi sorry for the late reply only just got my internet put back on they did come and fix the problem apparently they was a fault on the neutral wire. They put a tempery supply in for now they cam at around 6pm and the electric was back on by 10.30 pm they would not let me take any pictures but after i brought them a cup of tea they was happy to let me watch i found it very facinating they even talked me through a few thing that they was doing i have never seen a live jointing before and i must say i really enjoyed it. Thank you all for all your help thanks

Not overly surprised that they wouldn't let you take pictures, some working practices are not always in accordance with their own rules! For example most do not wear their visors especially when it is raining as they cannot see out of them! Additionally you could scare the proverbial out of the jointer when your camera flash goes off!
My youngest works live on 11,000 volts, they will do a complete pole change live. To be honest just the thought of it scares me stupid, didn't help when he went on youtube over xmas and was showing us examples of flashovers

Reply to Urgent help with domestic supply in my house in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net