Discuss Urgent help with domestic supply in my house in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

All this talk of services reminded me of something a few years back,I was called out to a house where the owner kept getting shocks and things blowing up,first thing was to put a martindale in the socket,this showed p-n reverse,so Iwent to the cu and checked there,wired up ok but polarity still reversed.as there was in my opinion a safety issue I removed service fuse and same again p-n reverse,when I rang supplier a stroppy woman went mad about pulling service,however when I spoke to the duty engineer he wasn,t too bothered,seemed more interested in coming to see the problem.Anyway 30 mins later 1 guy in a van and overalls turns up,sees whats gone on and makes a phonecall then 3 suits turn up and start going mental turns out it was a new service and had been jointed wrong in street,wouldn,t want to be the guy who did that one.the best one though was when a chap called me to a fault on a domestic and all the wiring was knackered,even the tails,he thought he was being ripped off when I advised him that it was unsafe and needed urgent work,as there were kids in the house I pulled the service (the insulation was missing in places on the tails v i r ) and rang the supplier myself,who told me to take the fuse and go as they would come straight out and check.Result they came they checked they took his meter,and told him to get it rewired before they would reconnect.Yes they dont like you pulling a service,but in emergencies or when they cock up they tolerate it,but always with care and correct ppe.

Reply to Urgent help with domestic supply in my house in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net