Discuss Urgent rcd !!! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

waitees

Hi all

just doing a board change tested everything which was fine. Gone to turn everything on a loads of faults !

Downstairs lights , immersion and ring circuit in kitchen can get rcd to stay on with these off, what's strange is I can switch something on and it trips both rcds .

Could someone point me in the right direction and what to start with first ? This has not happed before.

Also when I turn the cooker on fine light inside comes on when turn the heat up on the cooker it trips straight away , cooker faulty ?

Sounds like maybe neutrals in wrong RCD sides hence tripping ???

Also maybe borrowed neutrals.

Did you carry out a test prior to change? This is very important, as it will unveil these problems.

I had a similar problem once, and I refused to carry out board change due to underlining problems like borrowed neutrals etc.

Good luck anyway mate and hope you can sort it out. Try testing each circuit individually, IR, R1+R2, Zs etc

Best regards,
Sav

10 way wylex with 2 rcd, 1 at 63a other 80a , done quite a few if these boards, never had problem , must have been lucky.

Testing was all fine.

Any ideas :( ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again,
is this a new board your using as its a bit weird to have 1 RCD 63a and another 80a ( not that it matters I suppose ).

Are the RCD's Wylex as well??

Sav

Hi Mate, Some boards come pre wired with a link between the two neutral bars, have you checked for this and if so remove it.
Hope this helps KJ

also check the rcd neut is wired to the correct bars, could be crossed,

more likely borrowed neutrals and million other problems at property - pays to do some basic tests pre change

Hi again,

The tripping of the RCD by the downstairs lighting circuit hints at a borrowed neutral - probably on your two way lighting.

The 'immersion' and 'ring circuit' tripping the RCD hints at neutrals in wrong bar.

The link in the CU (suggested by Keith) is a good point, but if the RCDs are holding with just three circuits turned off, then I think unlikely.

Now, the rcd won't go on even tho all the breakers are off and the other rcd is off and main switch is on, what could it be ?????

Try changing the RCD for a new one. Sounds like the kit you got is faulty, hence they gave you one 63a and one 80a RCD. They probably made up the kit with left overs !!

If this fails, I would remove RCD's (like 16th edition boards). and put evrything on the appropriate mcb's so that you can switch on and go home!!

Then tomorrow get 2 new RCD's, but test the install beforehand.

Sav

Are you sure your neutrals are correct?

Is it possible to post a picture up? It will help a great deal?.
:(

I have seen an 80amp and a 63amp RCD in a 17th edition board many times... However I can't remember if it was wylex or mk? These are the only 2 I use domestically..

Last edited:
Try changing the RCD for a new one. Sounds like the kit you got is faulty, hence they gave you one 63a and one 80a RCD. They probably made up the kit with left overs !!

If this fails, I would remove RCD's (like 16th edition boards). and put evrything on the appropriate mcb's so that you can switch on and go home!!

Then tomorrow get 2 new RCD's, but test the install beforehand.

Sav

Really??

By the way, Sav, here is one of many:)

Toolstation > Electrical > Circuit Protection > Volex 17th Edition Dual RCD Consumer Unit

Last edited by a moderator:
Well what else can he do at this hour?? If the house is unoccupied, then I would suggest leaving everything off until the morning, but otherwise, put it back to how it was, as I am guessing it was working fine beforehand, and restart tomorrow.

Mind you, now reading back to how it sounds (and how it must look - no disrespect at all Waitees ) , I would switch it all off and get a either 2 new RCD's or better still a new c/unit kit .

Sav

Hi mate, put all circuits on one RCD , if rcd now sets, you have mixed or borrowed neutrals, While the other Rcd is now not feeding any think try test sequence, may also have a duff rcd.
Hope this helps.
regards KJ

what happens if you put all the circuits on one rcd.....if it stays in then go back in the AM and find the borrowed neutrals.

At this hour you will only get tired frustrated and make mistakes. Put them all on one rcd

Last edited:
i would dissconect each circuit and then connect 1 at a time making sure you connect your neutrals to the right neutral bar when you connect a circuit and it trips redo IR test lighting circuit could be shared neutrals best of luck

Reply to Urgent rcd !!! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net