Discuss USB 13A 2 gang socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
What do you think of these LAP 13A 2 gang sockets from screwfix?

Anyone had any experiences with them?

Have got a customer who thinks they might want them.

LAP 13A SP 2-Gang Switched Socket & USB Charger Port White | Switches & Sockets | screwflix..com

61 good reviews on screwfix site....
it will work and it will do usb charge. how long it will last you never know till it breaks, if it will go it flames when overloaded you never know too.
its a new product straight from china factory.

Just make sure they are powerful enough to charge an iPad if that's what the customer has. I never have fitted LAP because it has a Shyte reputation.
You don't want it too powerful though otherwise when someone plugs in an electronic cigarette via a non-approved charger and despite the warnings not to, it could explode.

I have never fitted one yet. Partly because of an ESC report that brought up some worries about quality in general, partly because there are no standards or requirements that I know of that cover the manufacture of the usb part, and partly because none of the brands I use or respect make any of these.. it's all the cheap tat, like LAP.

61 good reviews on screwfix site....
it will work and it will do usb charge. how long it will last you never know till it breaks, if it will go it flames when overloaded you never know too.
its a new product straight from china factory.

I don't trust reviews on screwfix. People buy stuff and are asked to review it immediately. How the hell can you know how good a product is until you've fitted it and its been tested as fit for purpose by the customer (and hopefully you've not had a callback to replace the item

I don't trust reviews on screwfix. People buy stuff and are asked to review it immediately. How the hell can you know how good a product is until you've fitted it and its been tested as fit for purpose by the customer (and hopefully you've not had a callback to replace the item

Plus of course many of them are likely to have been written by employees of screwfix or the manufacturers of the products

I have not used them so cant comment but I can tell you that there are no set standards for USB, There was a guideline which everyone should of adhered to but Apple went and blew that out of the water along with many other manufacturers.

That is why a standard USB charger wont charge a IPad etc as they require 2A, Which as said above is where problems can come in with lower powered items that do not have safety cut outs.

I can however recommend these little beauties if you want to charge USB stuff.

Bolse® 60W / 12-Amp 7-Port Fast Charging USB Wall / Desktop Charging Station With SmartICᵀᴹ Technology - Full Speed Charging for iPhone 5, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, Touch Screen Tablet, Cell Phone, MP3 Player, (AC 110-220V International), D

I brought one last year and it really is bloody fantastic.
I charge everything on it from my Iphone and Pad to my PS4 controllers and cameras.

Has safety cut outs etc and all the power you should ever need.

I have just fitted something similar to the LAP one (for family) and I am waiting to see if it burns their shed down!
The one I fitted could supply a total of 2A.
I too was wary because of all the bad reports last year about these sockets and their dangers, mainly from the overheating and close potential ELV LV crossover.
However there were only a few models out at the time and some stopped being available, then after a small period there were loads of different ones about.
I have (rather naively) assumed they have solved the manufacture and safety problems and they are now OK to fit.
The only thing I am not happy about now is that most of them are on all the time which is presumably a waste of energy and a risk of over heating.
I believe some of them only power up once there is a plug in the port, but I have not investigated which ones.

I would still be cautious about fitting one for a non family customer.

I have just fitted something similar to the LAP one (for family) and I am waiting to see if it burns their shed down!
The one I fitted could supply a total of 2A.
I too was wary because of all the bad reports last year about these sockets and their dangers, mainly from the overheating and close potential ELV LV crossover.
However there were only a few models out at the time and some stopped being available, then after a small period there were loads of different ones about.
I have (rather naively) assumed they have solved the manufacture and safety problems and they are now OK to fit.
The only thing I am not happy about now is that most of them are on all the time which is presumably a waste of energy and a risk of over heating.
I believe some of them only power up once there is a plug in the port, but I have not investigated which ones.

I would still be cautious about fitting one for a non family customer.
my only issue with them is, because apple use non standard V on D+ and D- pins new devices in a couple years probably won't be able to charge at the new rate.

the V on D+ and D- tells the device how much current is safe to pull from the device

I have not used them so cant comment but I can tell you that there are no set standards for USB, There was a guideline which everyone should of adhered to but Apple went and blew that out of the water along with many other manufacturers.

That is why a standard USB charger wont charge a IPad etc as they require 2A, Which as said above is where problems can come in with lower powered items that do not have safety cut outs.

I can however recommend these little beauties if you want to charge USB stuff.

Bolse® 60W / 12-Amp 7-Port Fast Charging USB Wall / Desktop Charging Station With SmartICᵀᴹ Technology - Full Speed Charging for iPhone 5, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, Touch Screen Tablet, Cell Phone, MP3 Player, (AC 110-220V International), D

I brought one last year and it really is bloody fantastic.
I charge everything on it from my Iphone and Pad to my PS4 controllers and cameras.

Has safety cut outs etc and all the power you should ever need.

I'd be more than a little concerned over the 110V - 220V power supply requirements for this unit. It may satisfy European/international (most) requirements but it certainly doesn't satisfy the UK's 240V supply even at the make believe 230V nominal voltage. I'd need to have a good gander at the technical data of this unit... I certainly wouldn't leave this unit ON overnight or unattended until i was completely satisfied it was safe to do so.....

I was considering using ones similar to these, however I too had the thought that they would be wasting electricity when not in use. Can anyone attest to the likely current draw when not in use?

Might just be me, but I don't see the big benefit with these. You still need a cable anyway, and modern phone chargers are very small and discreet, and can be replaced if they go faulty just by unplugging them. Also, you can use them in any socket in any part of the house. Plus, the USB cable exits downwards usually, rather than sticking straight out across your work surface when using the mains socket type. Just my thoughts. Daz

I was considering using ones similar to these, however I too had the thought that they would be wasting electricity when not in use. Can anyone attest to the likely current draw when not in use?
You can have the Lap one I installed in my house, only prob is, less than a year old, only one of the usb sockets still work. They are carp IMO!

I hate the damn things. Messing up my IR testing and pretty pointless for the reasons above imo. A gimmick really.

Does anyone know if any USB sockets have been approved by the likes of Apple, Samsung etc? Any mention of this issue normally gets my customers to drop the idea of having them.

Reply to USB 13A 2 gang socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock