Discuss Usb socket combo in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lister

Evening all..(its been a while)
Has any of you come across these usb charger points built in to a socket face plate, i have a customer who asked for one, has any one used them? are they ok ? how do they work ie, are they fused or use a selv system or is my usb device when plugged in only protected by my 32A mcb on the ring??
cheers
Martin

I had problems with three in a row, where the charger didn't work. The ones I used had an internal fuse seperate from the sockets.

Good idea but I would have thought a 1 gang plate with it's own SFCU type arrangement would have been better.

Seems to be plenty out there, I'd never even considered anything like that. Just plug my phone into the PC or charge it in the van.

I hate the idea of encouraging the general public to plus their USB cables into "the mains" .... because that's what these look like. You and I know that's not the case, but do others, young and old? I have visions of a 10 year old trying to force his i-pod lead into a live socket, because that's what he saw downstairs.

Perhaps I'm just acting my 55 years (for once !)

Malcolm

I wired up one the motors from a Scalectrix car to the mains. It went really fast until the wires went pop and the outlet turned black. That was in the 70's when I was but a young and impressionable boy and I'm still here.

People are too protective these days... When I was a boy and all that, Jesus, I and many others survived Keith Chegwin...

Last edited:
I'm in two minds about these. Part of me thinks it's a good idea, and part of me thinks, if you have to use one of these so it frees up the sockets, then you don't have enough sockets in your home!!!

I got webman one of these for his birthday. I got a Hamilton one and he hasn't had a problem yet. They are handy to have not necessarily for iPhone but playstation controllers and also the wireless headphones etc I'm fairly sure the output is only 5v??

Reply to Usb socket combo in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock