Discuss USB wall chargers and there inputs for Oculus Go headset in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi
I have just signed up to the forum - its good to be here

I am looking for a Wall charger with a USB standard input socket for a Oculus GO VR headset which comes with a Lithium Ion battery.

In the UK the Oculus Go doesn’t come with its own power charger included. The charger according to Oculus needs to be a:

10W (5V 2A) AC USB adapter -

For use only with IEC/EN 60950-1 Rated Input: 100-240 Vac/0.35 A, Output: 5 Vdc, 2A max, double insulated, with LPS output, or equivalent

I have found a couple of wall chargers with 5V 2A outputs but they had an input requirement of 0.3A or 0.5A not the 0.35A listed by Oculus -

Will this matter as the charger will be giving out the correct charge to the device itself?

and would there be any safety risks using the chargers with the different Amps inputs?

Many Thanks

Adam

The input current difference is not important in this case. Differences in the efficiencies of different chargers will affect this figure, as will how the manufacturer tests it and specifies it.

Any halfway decent phone charger is fine for the Oculus Go. 2A (10W) is the maximum usable but a lower power charger will just take longer to charge. I use an old Samsung 10W charger for mine and it's fine.

BG socket with 3.1A USB slots.
https://www.screwflix..com/c/electr...al&cm_sp=managedredirect-_-electrical-_-bgusb

The input current difference is not important in this case. Differences in the efficiencies of different chargers will affect this figure, as will how the manufacturer tests it and specifies it.
Thanks for the reply, by 'differences in the efficiencies of different chargers'- does this mean how the charger converts the input amounts to its output of 5V and 2A? and could you please explain what is meant by how the manufacturer 'specifies it' - does it mean what type of measurement they choose to measure the input of the charger? Thanks Adam

2 different chargers from 2 different manufacturers will be made differently. One may be more efficient than the other, and so will take less current in than the other one to give the same 2A current out.

Hope that makes sense.

2 different chargers from 2 different manufacturers will be made differently. One may be more efficient than the other, and so will take less current in than the other one to give the same 2A current out.

Hope that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense! Thanks - incidentally if I was to buy a universal USB adapter with a output of 2.1A, as many of them seem to be - would that be safe and able to charge the Oculus Go (Lithium Ion battery) with its required input of 2A? I see that many of the chargers say they can supply a charge of 2.1A max which sounds like they would be fine?! Thanks

Hope that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense! Thanks - incidentally if I was to buy a universal USB adapter with a output of 2.1A, as many of them seem to be - would that be safe and able to charge the Oculus Go (Lithium Ion battery) with its required input of 2A? I see that many of the chargers say they can supply a charge of 2.1A max which sounds like they would be fine?! Thanks
nb oculus do list however that the required charger needs a max (up to) 2A here: Oculus - https://support.oculus.com/536364990076727/

Yes it would be fine. Happy charging !

Reply to USB wall chargers and there inputs for Oculus Go headset in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock