Discuss Use of 16a 230v ip44 plugs & sockets outside laying on wet grass / leaves in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just wondered what people's thoughts were on the use of 16a 230v ip44 plugs / sockets used on cable lighting for a Christmas event with most connectors being left on wet grass or leaves, there are lots of these connectors in use and are accessable by children as it is a public area.
My thoughts are that it appears to be acceptable to use ip44 connectors outside as these are often used for caravan hookup. But only considered splash proof, so I would recommend the use of ip67 in the environment I have described!
Just wondered if there is any legislation or official guidelines regarding cable connectors outside!

So long as they are positioned to prevent water running directly into them, i.e. Placed on the ground as opposed to vertically down the side of a structure, IP44 connectors are generally good and pretty much the standard for outdoor events.

As a rule, we use IP67 connectors on 63A and 125A cables and IP44 for 32A and 16A final circuits.

Obviously your own risk assessment will determine what is needed and where. In most cases the choice of IP67 on non final circuits is for their mating characteristics and reduced risk of accidental disconnection.

Anyway, well done,as you're already ten steps ahead of many Christmas event organisers, whose approach to ingress protection is limited to wrapping their multiple daisy chained supermarket 4-way 13A reels in plastic bags, usually from same supermarket!

When setting up for air shows in the past I would always have used IP67 if plugs and sockets were outside or even inside tents but on the ground, I just don’t fully trust IP44 in that situation. As has been said an additional benefit is the locking collars prevent them coming to bits and in my experience prevent members of the public and stall holders (or curious children) fiddling with them.

I do remember once being required to provide 3 phase from a generator to a marquee and spending a couple of hours calculating cable lengths and circuit diversity. During install I discovered the afore mentioned 4 gang extension leads lying all over the wet grass in between the inner and outer marquee walls.

Not all connectors are created equal, some are far better than others for this application. We use PCE connectors on all of our hire stock which have a much better gland and sealing than the basic walther etc type.

The electrical system for the event should have been inspected and tested to bs7909 and a certificate issued, try asking the event organisers to see a copy of it and watch them squirm.

Reply to Use of 16a 230v ip44 plugs & sockets outside laying on wet grass / leaves in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net