Discuss Use of Asley J803 JB's in ring circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sgn

House built about 1974, wiring OK. But all are sockets on a shallow skirting so need to raise them all to about 450mm plus new skirting. Option 1 - pull wiring down below flooring and extend each wire to new sockets above skirting using 2 Ashley J803's thus maintaining ring. Option 2 - pull wiring down below flooring and extend to new socket with one wire (spur) using 1 Ashley J803 - means every socket is a spur but less junction boxes so less connections. Any suggestions, advice, tips on the above options - not keen on total rewire which I know is best solution Thanks

If the cables do not have enough leeway to simply pull them to the new position then:
where wiring is accessible then replace the cable between two points, simple and easy and neat.

If the wiring cannot be accessed easily then I would crimp and heat shrink an extension on to the cable to reach the new socket position. You can use junction boxes, but as you say lots of boxes unless you can find a 6 way MF box.

I would not do the spur idea, electrically it would not be a problem in this case assuming it is a normal ring, but is not an ideal solution.

I may be thinking wrong if wiring okay. And not been rewired. Then it was wired to whichever bs7671 was at the time. So do not have to be moved up. Forgive me if wrong not been in game that long.

If the cables do not have enough leeway to simply pull them to the new position then:
where wiring is accessible then replace the cable between two points, simple and easy and neat.

If the wiring cannot be accessed easily then I would crimp and heat shrink an extension on to the cable to reach the new socket position. You can use junction boxes, but as you say lots of boxes unless you can find a 6 way MF box.

I would not do the spur idea, electrically it would not be a problem in this case assuming it is a normal ring, but is not an ideal solution.

Thanks for that - not sure about crimping as I've heard the joints on 2.5mm T&E can come loose? You probably know better though.

Why do you have to bring them to 450mm?

I assume you are saying that since the regs didn't require that height when installed then lower - perhaps 150 - 300mm would be OK, so might have enough cable to pull through

I may be thinking wrong if wiring okay. And not been rewired. Then it was wired to whichever bs7671 was at the time. So do not have to be moved up. Forgive me if wrong not been in game that long.

Think you're correct - but want socket above new skirting so will have to move up say to 200mm?

Why don't you pull them down put them in a jb but use 4 mm as your spur upwards,

Thanks for that - that would make every socket in the ring a spur - would this be OK Why would you need 4mm - is this to take possible extra load or lesson voltage drop? just guessing

What about option 3
rewire the full ring. You have already done the hard part, chopping the boxes out and lifting the floor

seems like a no brainer to me.

I agree with Kevin and Archy, putting JB's into a circuit when there is no need is a bad practice to get into, I'll bet the job will not only be far more professional but quicker by rewiring the ring because you will not have to fiddle about terminating all those JB's.

Reply to Use of Asley J803 JB's in ring circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock