Discuss Use of Mains designed Outdoor Post Light for 12v bulb in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Paulie70

Afternoon,

Is there any reason why I cant use a 240v designed post light (with E27 GLS bulb holder) to be wired into a 12v transformed external lighting circuit (obviously with a 12v bulb of suitable wattage)? I can't think of a reason why not.....

Is there any control equipment in the lampost?

Thanks to both.
What I want is simply to use the lamp post (which is designated as 240v 50Hz) as part of a low voltage circuit, to be fed by 12v and a 12v light to be included. There is no control equipment. On off to be controlled entirely by transformer circuit. No solar or PIR. Wiring and bulb holder rated for 240v AC 60W should be fine for 12V 20W DC, from my elementary understanding of electrical theory.....

Keeps me away from Part P, armoured cable, gel infused switch boxes, etc etc....

I can't see any reason why not, but if I was doing it I would dis all the 240v stuff (lamp holder and lamp) and work around/with an existing 12v transformed system. With a bit of thought it shouldn't be too difficult.

Yes, you can use the 230V lampholder and wiring for a 12V lamp. I used to do this all the time when intalling domestic decorative fittings in marine applications, where it was more efficient to use the 12 or 24V DC supply and a halogen lamp than the 230V supply and a GLS lamp. Obviously there could be situations with multi-lamp fixtures where the much higher current required at 12V would exceed the wiring or holder rating, your 20W lamp requires 20/12=1.7A which should be within the rating of any normal E27 holder (check it).

Reply to Use of Mains designed Outdoor Post Light for 12v bulb in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock