Discuss Using meter tails for distribution circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,

Been asked to do some work in a building consisting of 5 flats which are being redeveloped. At the minute, the distribution circuits to each flat consist of a 60a switch fuse with a 10mm CPC and 25mm line and neutral cables usually used as meter tails.

They are all in trunking and the developers want them either buried in the wall or boxed in.

First question, are "meter tails" OK to be used for distribution circuits?

Second question, I guess they need to be RCD protected - what is the best way of achieving this when each flat will have it's own 30ma RCD. A time delayed 100ma RCD? (which from my interpretation wouldn't meet the requirements, but neither would a 30ma RCD (discrimination) or omitting an RCD on the distribution circuits).

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Yes you can use sheathed singles if you want
No they can't be buried without additional protection
No you can't use a 100mA RCD as additional protection
No you can't use a single RCD to protect the whole installation

Thanks for the replies.

Don't think I could guarantee they'd be >50mm all the way.

So what's the standard way of achieving the required 30ma RCD protection for distribution circuits, while keeping discrimination with the individual flats RCD's? I don't understand how it would be possible lol :confused:

Thanks for the replies.

So what's the standard way of achieving the required 30ma RCD protection for distribution circuits, while keeping discrimination with the individual flats RCD's? I don't understand how it would be possible lol :confused:

Install SWA so the distribution circuit doesn't have to be RCD protected.

Thanks for the replies.

There is no requirement for RCD protection on distribution circuits

I have had to use 25mm double insulated mains tails over a distance as a sub main before now, and due to the difficulty in the run couldnt use SWA, and couldnt rcd up front either so in the parts i had to chase in the wall i run it in 32 mm galv conduit with a lug fixed to one end then bonded back to met

this was only done in straight lenghts i wouldnt try adding bends etc

Reply to Using meter tails for distribution circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock