Discuss Using other measuring equipment for testing? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

oracle

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The Regs allow the use of other "measuring" equipment. Are any of you using such equipment and if so, what?

Reg 643.1
The tests of Regulations 643.2 to 643.11, where relevant, shall be carried out and the results compared with relevant criteria.Measuring instruments and monitoring equipment and methods shall be chosen in accordance with the relevant parts of BS EN 61557. If other measuring equipment is used, it shall provide no lesser degree of performance and safety.

The Regs allow the use of other "measuring" equipment. Are any of you using such equipment and if so, what?

Reg 643.1
The tests of Regulations 643.2 to 643.11, where relevant, shall be carried out and the results compared with relevant criteria.Measuring instruments and monitoring equipment and methods shall be chosen in accordance with the relevant parts of BS EN 61557. If other measuring equipment is used, it shall provide no lesser degree of performance and safety.
Which edition of the Regulations are you referring to with regards to 643.1, oracle?

Reg 643.1
18th edition was quoted
where no all, oracle .

lno Pete ,I was put up to clean chimney's has soon has I can crawl .:p still using chalk and a slate at the minute call a lap top .
Just kidding Buzz, we all know what you are like, flat cap big boots, short trousers, socks round yer ankles, crusty piece of bread in yer hand, etc :D

If you guys don't know then please just say so. It's just one of the things in the Regs that I am trying to understand.

I personally do not use alternative methods or equipment to alternative standards.

The regs are full of clauses like this though.

You may install not to the regulations if you like if it does not offer a lower level of safety and you can prove it.

You may use equipment not to recognised standards if you like if it does not offer a lower level of safety and you can prove it.

OK thanks
I realise a multimeter ,no matter how good, can't provide enough current to test continuity properly and cannot provide any voltage for insulation testing.
Could they mean something like using a loop tester on a TT spike? But that is already an acceptable alternative.

OK thanks
I realise a multimeter ,no matter how good, can't provide enough current to test continuity properly and cannot provide any voltage for insulation testing.
Could they mean something like using a loop tester on a TT spike? But that is already an acceptable alternative.

I'm not sure they have anything in particular in mind when they write these clauses except giving permission for the regs not to be completely exhaustive in the realm of electrical installations, and to include alternatives.

Reply to Using other measuring equipment for testing? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net