Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers

Please visit our prime electrical forum sponsor - they have the best tools at the best prices. If you find a price better somewhere else, call them or contact them, and they may be able to beat it for you. Especially on an order of a few items.

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Using our MFT on 500v IR as a damp test probe? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Marti

Marti Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Jigsaw Electrical Services
    OK, Stop laughing at the back!
    SO, I'm house hunting and, ignoring the number of beautifully decorated houses with shite electrics - I also want to be aware of any damp issues. This led me to try using the trusty Megger with sharp probes to test for damp. This appears to work, or at-least is better than a cheap damp test gadget 'cos the pro stuff is pricey and is unlikely to be used again.

Any of you sparkin' heroes tried this? Am I barking up the wrong step ladder?

2. ferg

ferg Electrician's Arms

Surely the survey will have that covered?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Robson689

Robson689 Regular EF Member

Damp cannot be diagnosed with a meter it's a con to sell you chemical injection

Samples of the masonry need to be taken for analysis

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Cid

Cid Regular EF Member

Yeah I done it when there was a burst water mains outside my house. It works but there is no way of interpreting the numbers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Marti

Marti Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Unfortunately bitter experience has shown that, just as there are drive-by EICR's, similar scams happen in house surveys. RICS are just a fully paid-up protection racket for the unscrupulous. Just as well that'd never happen in the field of electrics ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. PEG

PEG Respected Member

There are many types of "damp",and you may be better off,investing in some research,of it's effects,and methods of rectification.

You can get a meter off ebay,for checking moisture content of logs,for less than 20 squid. This would give you a rough indication of surface damp,but no great accuracy,or proof of a problem.

An empty,un-heated property,will start to increase it's moisture content,in line with factors such as humidity,ventilation,and any "extras".
    A window full of condensation,could give adjacent walls a high reading - but be fine,whereas,an area totalled ravaged by wet-rot,could now be dry,and not give an indication.

Two biggest factors,are firstly,construction methods and materials.
    This is the cause of 95% of all damp issues.

The second,is location.

I am not straying from damp to wet,and drainage,subsidence and ground heave...

So,do some reading,and rather than look for a specific part,which shows damp,look at the areas where it could begin. Any bridging,alteration,deviation,etc,of the DPC - whatever initial construction method,and consider if what appears to be there,is working.
    Most accepted damp issues,internally,are ventilation problems.
    Cavity wall injection blags,have not always helped this...no point having the place insulated,if still moisture,because the warmer air can contain more water...then you have to ventilate...windows open...heating up the garden,now...marvellous;)

Do not underestimate the importance of air-bricks. Sub-floor ventilation,has been belittled,by countless builders,cavity insulators,landscapers,pavers,etc,and been the ruin of many a property.:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Marti

Marti Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    That is really useful - thank you. Thinking about our trade; I'm reluctant to become the dodgy DIYer in another skilled area whilst recognising that, if I can communicate with a good surveyor I may avoid the pain and expense of unforeseen issues.