Discuss using power tools on site in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
looking for a bit of guidance on this one.
i was helping a mate fit a kitchen on a site and there was a visit from health and safety normally he works in domestic all the time so all the tools are 230v not 110v. So as he normally works domestic so using 110v is a pain he is a bit like me with the tools so all festool, Makita, Dewatlt etc.
Back to the question they pointed out that he shouldnt be using mains voltage tools. I asked them to clarify HSG 141 paragraph 70 (google a great thing )they just drew me a dirty look so i pointed out that the house we were working in as its a new build all the circuits are RCD protected and all tools are pat tested and in date. They couldnt give me an answer and just walked away
Can anyone clarify the law on this one as i know its the norm to use 110v on a site but if you read HSG 141 / 70 is it ok to use mains voltage ?????
i know using 110v which should be centre tapped is voltage limiting and an RCD is current limiting protecion
opinions welcome but more interested in the law
cheers

As far as i can say, the law does not prescribe whether to use 110v or 240V, the accepted wisdom is you do a risk assessment of the working conditions onsite and based on this 110V or 230V or even battery only is acceptable.
e.g. New construction, work area wet/damp, high likelyhood of cable damage due to rough site conditions 110V or battery.
Existing site, nice and dry, short manageable cable leads, 240V .
For me, i manage my own H&S and use 240v equipment as lugging a TX around hurts my back, ha. Never has an issue (i guess being a sparky helps), if the site is particularly risky, then you are down to batteries anyway

what he said^^^^^^.

cheers
i thought it was funny to quote a health and safety guidline lets hope it dont bite me in the bum later.
it was a fourth floor flat at the final stage, the kitchen is the last thing fitted so more like working in a normal domestic situation

Often if you try to be clever the main contractor will just say its Keepmoat/Mears/United living, (whoever) policy....... Comply or leave site.

The HSE never commit themselves, leaving it to others to make the decisions. Oft quoted "carry out risk assessment". Most principle contractors will not allow 240V tools on site as it is the least risk option for them. They are not interested in the fact that it hurts to carry a Tx or you do not have 110V tools.
They are legally responsible for all safety on site and it is less risky for them to specify no 240V appliances on site, the odd one will allow it if you submit a full risk assessment, it is about covering backsides, not common sense.

Likewise, I'm not aware of any law stating 230V cannot be used. AFAIK no one has ever been killed by the 110V isolated supplies (maybe a few broken toes) and I think that's why many make it mandatory (?).

I use 18V Makita, can't fault it apart from the wheels on the bag have fallen off. Much of European workers use 230 Volt tools with RCD & RCBO protection on the continent.

All a bit grey really but:

HSE :
480 If mains voltage has to be used, the risk of injury is high if equipment, tools, leads etc are damaged, or there is a fault. Residual current devices (RCDs or trip devices as they are sometimes called) with a rated tripping current not greater than 30 mA with no time delay will be needed to ensure that the current is promptly cut off if contact is made with any live part.
481 RCDs must be installed and treated with great care if they are to save life in an accident. They have to be kept free of moisture and dirt and protected against vibration and mechanical damage. They need to be properly installed and enclosed, including sealing of all cable entries. They should be checked daily by operating the test button. If mains voltage is to be used, make sure that tools can only be connected to sockets protected by RCDs. By installing an RCD at the start of the work, immediate protection can be provided. Even so, RCDs cannot give the assurance of safety that cordless equipment or a reduced low-voltage (such as 110V) system provides.

All accords where the extension reel is plugged in, the cable to the extension reel could be the danger point.

I have pointed this out before, in the first instance a "Hazard Analysis" should be carried out if said HA finds that the risk is minimal i.e. all points RCD protected, then a "Risk Assessment" is not required.

An RCD extension lead is not a bad "default" to use as it deals with working on sites that don't have RCD at the board.

But test every time! The ones I have used don't seem to trip a RCBO so I guess they test L-N around the sense coil, not dumping to E.

Most of the builders I've worked with during my career have been two or three man outfits, and without exception, their 110V tools have had 2 -3m leads on them to the transformer, and then one or more 13A extension leads to the nearest power source, lying around in all weather.
So, little advantage to the tool being 110V, and a heavy Tx in the work area as a trip hazard,
110V tools became pointless when the current operated RCD became available.

All accords where the extension reel is plugged in, the cable to the extension reel could be the danger point.
yes and if the circuit it was plugged into had RCD protection you should be OK cus as you know 2 rcdS in the same circuit would cause problems

Meh i got sick of lugging that big yellow box around a couple of years back and invested in a lovely brand new set of 5.0ah Li-Ion DeWalt cordless tools.
And for anyone interested, you can currently get a few different 'set' deals on screwfix. For DeWalt I think it's £800 for 3x 18v 5.0ah batteries + charger, two carry cases, drill driver, multi tool, light, plane, circular saw, jigsaw. Well worth the money considering the drill driver alone with 2 batteries is usually about £300+.

Having got a couple of Milwaukee 18V tools I am amazed who well they last on a charge, and only find a couple of bigger jobs need a mains powered tool.

And for anyone interested, you can currently get a few different 'set' deals on screwfix. For DeWalt I think it's £800 for 3x 18v 5.0ah batteries + charger, two carry cases, drill driver, multi tool, light, plane, circular saw, jigsaw. Well worth the money considering the drill driver alone with 2 batteries is usually about £300+.
youse talking 2 months pension there. think i'll stick tobuying beer and smokes with it. ??

Reply to using power tools on site in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock